Kansas City today: 66 degrs. and 23 mph S-SW winds...

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Quetzalcoatl

Kansas City today: 66 degrs. and 23 mph S-SW winds...

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

I'm sure some of those lakes around KC are open for sailing! (This is better temp. and wind thand Padre Island has today!)

Only a six hour drive from Rochester, (some Winter weekend I'm gonna do it!)

One problem is though...I understand (I've heard) the the DNR (on Kansas side of KC) is especially "picky" about

enforcing registration stickers on all watercraft even windsurf boards under 8 ft. in length!

So: the soulution is either pick one or two boards to put on Kansas stickers or just sail on Missouri side of KC.

This means sailing just Lake Smithville.

Anyone have experience getting stuck with a ticket for NOT having a sticker on a board in Kansas?

Quetzalcoatl out.
Bill S.

Re: Kansas City today: 66 degrs. and 23 mph S-SW winds...

Post by Bill S. »

If you really need to sail in the Minnesota off-season, go to Lake Cheney, an hour west of Wichita, KS. For three consecutive years, Tighe Belden, Scott Chapman and I spent a week there in mid-March, and were joined a couple of times by Brian Smith and Mike Doherty. The legendary windsurf and kite board shaper, John Doyle, got his start on Cheney before moving to the Gorge. It's a windy place, for sure, and we always sailed every day on 2.9-5.9m sails. Good times on the Great Plains!
Quetzalcoatl

Re: Kansas City today: 66 degrs. and 23 mph S-SW winds...

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Thanks for the "heads-up", Bill, on the the recommendation for Lake Cheney.

Definitely Lake Cheney goes on "MY LIST"! (Maybe this late Winter).

Quetzalcoatl out.