This might be the rebirth of windsurfing?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Eric S

This might be the rebirth of windsurfing?

Post by Eric S »

2 sessions on a paddle board with Go Foil Maliko under belt. Winds 5-10 - almost got out of the water a few times, pumping 5.2 Sailworks Revo first session (pictured) and yesterday with 6.2 Charge - I'll keep rigging the charge until I get a flight. Light winds and pumping my windsurfing friends! A plus is that you freeking OWN the whole lake upwind. You can go where ever you want. It's like a keel. Rear wave fin redundant - no need. So far it sheds weeds good. Ever see a fish or dolphin with weeds on it? ;) Plus you might get to dust off your small, under used, EXPENSIVE sails you bought to use in the Gorge or twice a year in Minnesota. Even old ones will work, maybe even better than new wave sails.

So, if the winds are light and you see a kook trying to pump a big SUP with a small sail in super light winds... now you'll know. You have knowledge power!

Robbie Naish pumping up on a 4.7 and his new rig in reported 10 MPH (hopefully you've seen this video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjEDlyBMAGc

And myself with new board and foil. I'm stoked!

Good Winds my friends may the move you on whatever you ride...

Professor Robae'

Re: This might be the rebirth of windsurfing?

Post by Professor Robae' »

Looking good Admiral!!!
Keep on a PumPing!
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

I think this is gonna be a game changer for those that like to sail instead of mess around with kiting. I was able to get the board flying high with no whitecaps in sight. Just need a puff that put a hard texture on the water (I'd say 12-15mph) point off the wind and pump. Pumping is something I need more practice at. Flying the board is still and adventure for me. Each time I dont' know what to expect but the feeling of silently flying along is weird and fun, the only thing I'm hearing is a hum from the foil.

Also, when shlogging around in light wind this thing will point really high so it's like hunting for little puffs and gusts that you might use. I don't think my flying reaches were anything near as upwind as you can go, I was just trying to hang on and get the hang of controlling the pitch of the board with feet and mast foot presure (sheeting in, nose down, sheet out nose up) - There's a lot going on so my brain isn't getting the full experience yet, only mostly the terror part ;)

Here's the setup, 6.2M Wave sail and some grab rails on the rails, not sure if these are to helpful yet, I'm more comfortable bringing the rig and board into the water seperately for now...

Planing on heading out to Waconia here in afew mins from work and see what happens!

let's swap some learnings next time we get together Professor! I can use all the hints I can get.
bmr

Post by bmr »

saweet 8) , post some vids and let us know how it goes!
Have kite, will travel.