Windsurf Man speaks: If U rent gear (Relax!! don't gripe)

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Quetzalcoatl

Windsurf Man speaks: If U rent gear (Relax!! don't gripe)

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

If you travel to a Windsurf/Kiteboard destination and rent from a shop,,,
just be glad you've got something to sail with. No,,,it's not going to be as good as your stuff!

Windsurf/Kiteboard shops can't possibly keep up with the demand of equipment and especially the
wear and tear that rental equipment undergoes.

For example: "Windsurf Inc./South Padre Kiteboarding" (Phillip Money's place) has about twenty windsurf
sails hanging from a sail shack and many more windsurf boards to choose from. But,,,the sails sometimes have unrepaired
tears and if you find one in such a condition,,then take a different sail.

NO damaged boards are offered for rent. Many of the boards do have signs of Excellent repair work (done at a local surf shop).

Kiteboarding equipment,, I'm not sure on the conditions of the equipment but I know the kites and boards are of good quality
and I don't thing they get damaged as much as windsurfing equipment.

So: as the common expression goes: "Don't Whine, just sail!"

Quetzalcoatl (aka: Windsurf Man) out.
SteveJ

Re: Windsurf Man speaks: If U rent gear (Relax!! don't gripe

Post by SteveJ »

Solo Sports in Baja has great gear and better than what most people would have here for the local conditions of wave sailing. They get new gear every year and very well maintained. Not all windsurfing rental places are the same. There are some really good ones.
Steve
Dave Z

Re: Windsurf Man speaks: If U rent gear (Relax!! don't gripe

Post by Dave Z »

Same with http://worldwinds.net at Bird Island Basin just outside Corpus Christi. It's all flat water sailing in the Laguna Madre but they rent current year stuff from some of the top brands. I made a quick day trip down there when I was visiting my parents in Austin TX a few years back. Just showed up with my board shorts and rash guard and off I went in perfect 4.7 conditions.