Twin City Lake Temps ~50F Apr 26

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

KitingKen

Twin City Lake Temps ~50F Apr 26

Post by KitingKen »

Anybody been out on lakes around here? How are conditions? Looks like the lakes are a little low which is good for launch and land. Last year was a bit tricky at the beginning of the year. My wetsuit is good starting about about 55F water temp and that goes for my comfort level as well in case something goes wrong and I'm floating out there awhile. This website has some lake data listed http://www.fishingnotes.com/

Minnetonka = 49F
Waconia = 47F
Washington = 48F
Medicine = ?
White Bear ?

I hopefully got over the beginner's hump last fall in Padre and looking forward to a better season this year - more time with kite in air, less time with kite in water!

Ken
MK

Re: Twin City Lake Temps ~50F Apr 26

Post by MK »

Riders reporting in from all over the place Ken, the kitesurf season has begun! Water temps are cold and it's important for all to plan on worse case scenerio with proper cold water attire. Did you know it's standard gear in San Francisco to have a coast guard radio on you while kiting? Several booties, gloves, and wetsuits in stock. Orders happening daily. I actually had 3 people in my store yesterday! Wow!!! And two of them just stopped by! This is unusual since most kiters interact via web/text/phone. Does this mean this summer will be the kitiest summer ever?

I'm eager to get my new toy going:
Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 11.07.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 11.07.19 AM.png (123.13 KiB) Viewed 7524 times
slopecat

Post by slopecat »

KitingKen wrote:Anybody been out on lakes around here? How are conditions? Looks like the lakes are a little low which is good for launch and land. Last year was a bit tricky at the beginning of the year. My wetsuit is good starting about about 55F water temp and that goes for my comfort level as well in case something goes wrong and I'm floating out there awhile.

White Bear ?

Ken
I measured the WBL water temp at 56F on Saturday on Ramsey Beach in only 4" of water with the sun shining on it. There were whitecaps and the waves were rolling in pretty good. It was too cold for me to give it a go with my gear. Especially considering I was only one there. I am going to wait a couple more weeks.

Mike
Futahaguro

Post by Futahaguro »

MK wrote:Did you know it's standard gear in San Francisco to have a coast guard radio on you while kiting?
I have been researching all of the gear I will need to get in the water in cold temps and one of them was a VHF radio. Many are small and float so I was going to make sure that the local authorities follow VHF channel 16 before I buy one but it seems like a great idea.

I already have the Kokatat drysuit and booties so now I need a board, gloves and a hood and I will be ready to go:) Well, when I can actually find time to get out! (Let's not start the drysuit/wetsuit conversation as I have already researched that to death:)

Mike, are you good enough to ride that foil with shorts and a t-shirt;)
davepark

Post by davepark »

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy a VHF radio but keep in mind that the handhelds will be limited in power/range. Also, VHF requires line of sight for good communication and if you are using one right at the surface of the water, it might not work too well. Another problem, as you suggest, will be who is monitoring channel 16 on Minnesota lakes. Unless the sheriff or DNR is actually out on the lake, I would say your chances of someone answering a distress call would be minimal. A cell phone in a waterproof pouch is probably your best option at least on the main kiting lakes here in MN.
MK

Post by MK »

Good points. Without actually looking into it I will "assume" the Coast Guard in the Bay area likely have resources assigned to support what they use, I'm really not sure about here. I'll keep it in mind and try to find out. If anyone has a connection to local authorities or even wishes to speak up regarding local waterway monitoring it would be helpful.

Nice comment about the cell phone. I have used a DryCase for about 3 years (yes, in stock in my store http://store.lakawa.com/product/drycase) most of the time I teach and do down-winders. It's concerning putting your technology in the care of a $40 solution but it's necessary for me to have something. I've even taken a few phone calls even while riding, I don't recommend it but it works.

It's great to see the efforts listed of actual temps, thanks for the efforts to find out and share, I'm watching! It sound like it is just getting better. Jim Watkins of Sociable Cider said to me 2 days ago he's already removed his booties. This likely is a personal preference thing but it's a comment.

Apologies for pitching my stuff. I'm even put-off by it. However, I've discovered how to keep playing over the years and outfit what I can afford to put on the walls at my store to be a local solution. My store isn't much to be proud of but I do offer it as a local solution. Having created relationships with most vendors over the years at the very least puts me in a postion to help get you what you need at least. I'm happy to share the +/- of what I know about what I sell and always welcome feedback on what's not making it.

I really wish the boards for the foil would show. My cold water gear is ready to get dunked and I'm ready to dodge the spinning blades of death to hopefully learn foilboarding.
MK

Post by MK »

3-5mile range on vhf chnl 16, marine band radio, VHF (West Marine sells them). Medicine Lake doesn't reach, Minnetonka does, sherrif dept Hennepin County Water Patrol, HCWP. Boundary waters area has Coast Guard repeaters.

Pardon my notes. Just went through local police who directed me to DNR where I was bouced around a bit then directed to HCWP. They suggested it's "a good idea" and even if the signal is obstructed to them, it's common for others to simply monitor Ch. 16 who in turn can report.

I did ask since I had them on the line if there was anything we could do as a kiting community to help them. Anything like come in and speak to their officers to help get them acquainted or otherwise be proactive and he said he was familiar with what we do and has assisted a few times on Lake Minnetonka but that he's familiar and nothing comes to mind that we can do.

One local option he listed was West Marine, there may be other local options but here's there link: http://www.westmarine.com/handheld-vhf-radios A quick web search under key words Waterproof VHF Radio yielded a host of options too.
Futahaguro

Post by Futahaguro »

Yah, I looked at the West Marine website and would buy from them if it was a good idea. I like the cell phone idea but that means you need to have it at the ready when things go south. I like the idea of having a simple radio right there at the ready. One thing the kayaking dude said he would always carry when on Lake Superior is a couple of hand flares in his pocket. They are the little guys that fire into the air, which sounded like another good idea.

This all may be excessive but I am mostly thinking about it when in very cold water and you need help a.s.a.p.. http://www.orionsignals.com/products/aerial-flares.html