A reminder to be safe out there. Fatality in Maine.

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Futahaguro

A reminder to be safe out there. Fatality in Maine.

Post by Futahaguro »

Man dies in kite skiing accident
http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/local/2 ... /23543059/

http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=29923 (13th post is from Feyd, Chris Krug from Hardwater Kiting in New Hampshire)
Matt V

Re: A reminder to be safe out there. Fatality in Maine.

Post by Matt V »

Feyd hit it on the head and I am with him.

I would only add, that if you care about the sport and are experienced, you should be proactive out on the water or snow. Buy that I mean that you should protect others, and your spot/sport, from this type of thing.

If you question a situation or rider you may want to get involved. Though it would be of no comfort to this particular kiters family, doing everything you can to stop the situation could have saved this person. Sometimes it is hard to get involved, but even if you fail, it is well worth it.

If you find it impossible to stop someone from dong something stupid, at least sound the alarm and be ready to help when it goes bad.

My personal policy on our local spot is that if some one shows up and you even slightly question their skill, offer to take them out and fly a trainer kite real quick to "get the feel for our local winds". Luckily our water spot is 4minutes from some good soccer fields to fly a trainer. Giving up an hour or two of my time is well worth protecting someone's life, protecting the reputation of our sport, and potentially stopping our local spot from getting a kite ban. If I am already out flying, I will go through a landing cycle if I see someone new pumping up. This allows me to give some info about the wind conditions and make sure they are aware of launching and landing procedure. If not, I will launch and land them. Usually I will stay in while they are out.

It is not that I know it all, but rather I am insistent on new guys at least having a chance at getting local knowledge before they jump in. Maybe not all kite spots warrant this, though I am pretty sure your "close to town/local" spots do.

Take charge and convey what you know - "Oh well (attitude)" will only wind up being "Oh well, our spot just got kiting banned".
BSMITH

Re: A reminder to be safe out there. Fatality in Maine.

Post by BSMITH »

Well put Matt.
Look at the bluffs around that lake. No wonder it's gusty!
There are so many kiters that didn't come from a sailing,windsurfing, or paragliding background that have no clue.