How are the conditions for snowkiting out there?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Elkman

How are the conditions for snowkiting out there?

Post by Elkman »

OK, I admit it: I haven't been out snowkiting yet this season. Not enough time, not enough snow, blah blah blah... I've got the day off from work tomorrow, so if conditions are any good, I hope to get out onto one of the lakes.

The snow has been pretty lacking lately, and we've had intermittent thaws, but we got a couple inches last night. Think that's enough for a good day of snowkiting, or are most people waiting for decent snow?
Todd Murray
Bloomington, MN
Futahaguro

Re: How are the conditions for snowkiting out there?

Post by Futahaguro »

I was out at Medicine Lake yesterday and if the wind is up it can be pretty fun. I would say the lake has about 70% bonded snow, only about 1", and the rest is pretty smooth, slippery ice. You need sharp edges but I was able to get around on my snowboard pretty well. There were plenty of fish houses and cars on the ice so it should be safe, especially with the cold weather rolling in. I gave the Hardy's Boatworks folks a tip inside their building so I could use their water access. It is a nice access and most cars shouldn't have any problem getting onto the ice.
Barry P

Re: How are the conditions for snowkiting out there?

Post by Barry P »

Mille Lacs on Sunday 2/15... I was on my way up to visit Mom and stopped for a short session on my favorite lake. I'm glad I did. It was a wonderfully smooth 10-15 blow although it was only 1 degree F (I refuse to acknowledge windchill). I drove a mile out on the ice past where the ice fishing houses start and rigged. Nice un-tracked snow with occasional patches of clear ice to weave through and enough wind for a jump here and there. From what I could see driving up the west side, the southern half of the lake had a continuous blanket of snow.
Attachments
ML.jpg
ML.jpg (466.31 KiB) Viewed 2951 times