San Diego Kiteboarding???

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Stroh

San Diego Kiteboarding???

Post by Stroh »

Heading to San Diego for a conference in late January and considering heading out there a few days earlier if I have a good chance of getting out for some rides on the water.

Anyone have any experience riding out there? If so I would appreciate any info you can provide on wind, beaches, regulation and community/forum.
Last edited by Stroh on Mon May 07, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Stroh
sco_dubbl_T

Re: San Diego Kiteboarding???

Post by sco_dubbl_T »

Hey Jon - I did something similar about 18 months ago. The thing about San Diego is the wind is VERY light. I was there for 8 days and had about two hours of rideable wind in March. There is a spot on Fiesta Island in Mission Bay that is small, but shallow and rideable. I'll get a location for that spot on here shortly. I certainly wouldn't try to kite in SD without a 17m and a big board. That being said, I'm a big guy at 210+. When I went my biggest kite was a 14m and wasn't enough.

Scott
Jason_L

Post by Jason_L »

Hey Stroh. I agee with Scott, the wind is very light in San Diego. I lived there for 6 years and only owned one kite at a time, a 23.5 M and 20 M. It's about 8 mph every single day just not enough to ride. When it gets up to 11 mph, everyone gets excited and goes kiting. Check with the locals as the rules may have changed but the main spots were:

"Stinkies" - Enchanted Cove on Mission Bay. Small inlet surrounded almost on all sides. Dead flat water. Can get crowded if wind is blowing. Pretty sure this is the spot Scott mentioned.
Coronado Island
Tourmaline Surf Park in Pacific Beach. This is on the ocean and a very localized surfing spot so check with locals and definitely respect and keep distance from surfers.
Imperial Beach - As far south as you can go without getting into Mexico. Big beaches, laid back and not as crowded.

Many people road trip down to "San Quentin" in Mexico the wind is usually better or further toward LA, Long Beach is pretty good.

To be totally honest with you I would just plan on surfing or longboarding on the boardwalk as the kiteboarding is not guaranteed at all. If you check the forcasts daily and look right before you leave, there might be something but otherwise it could be a let down bringing all your kite gear especially if you get charged by the airline. You could just pack a big kite and then somehow get your hands on a surfboard to play on. Have a great trip, it's a beautiful place and lots to do.
peterrib

Post by peterrib »

Ditto.... Spent a week in San Diego without a breeze. Got some wind at Pismo and again
off of San Clemete where the locals let me know which waves were "theirs" and sent me down the beach. :?
Not a very "Minnesota" type of welcome. Peter
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

Last edited by Stroh on Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Stroh
chilepin

Post by chilepin »

Slim chance for water session, but landboarding is awesome. It's allowed at ocean beach during off season. At low tide you can go 2miles up and down the beach with little wind. You can landboard on fiesta island too depending on wind direction.