Winter Issue of Distinctly Montana - Article on Snowkiting

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

noahpz

Winter Issue of Distinctly Montana - Article on Snowkiting

Post by noahpz »

The regional publication Distinctly Montana just published their online copy (print version out next week) and their lead story and the longest feature they have ever published is on snowkiting. I’m keepin’ the fire stoked for when you midwesterners return to Montana and shred!

http://digital.distinctlymontana.com/i/425666/13

Cheers and Windy Regards,

Noah
MK

Re: Winter Issue of Distinctly Montana - Article on Snowkiti

Post by MK »

I really enjoy what you do Noah. Thanks for posting. Mike
Matt V

Post by Matt V »

I really missed the Minnesota crew up there! Everybody was bummed when they heard that you canceled. Good trip but mostly light winds that really favored the gliders. Saw some amazing flights and I am getting a better feel for it myself but not yet making any 2 minute glides like the pros up there.

Hope to see you up at Mille for the meet. Otherwise, if the snow hits hard, you should consider hitting the terrain on the Buffalo Ridge this year. All of us from the Weeestsiiieed have it to ourselves but there is plenty to share. After 2 weeks in the mountains, I am still convinced that our best Buffalo Ridge spots are more fun than the mountains.
MK

Post by MK »

You were there too! bummer. Really a cool location, collection of people, and great food!

You're talking Lake Benton area, right? I recall your comments and also when we updated the http://www.lakawa.com/lakawa-chat-f1/wh ... 15494.html map in sticky above. Both Hole in the Mtn and Altona look to be below the snowline now http://www.intellicast.com/Travel/Weath ... Cover.aspx Any updates?
Matt V

Post by Matt V »

We are in a holding pattern for now. I hit Togwotee pass on the way to Jackson Hole but no wind. You have to get really high for 2 ft of snow right now. I would have headed to Idaho, but it looked too thin out there.

Back in Nebraska now just tying up some loose ends. Hoping the snow hits anywhere from Fargo to Alexandria to Watertown, SD to Lake Benton, to Spirit Lake, IA. As per usual, I am sure the snow will hit somewhere that I have never kited yet. I Google "Earthed" a new spot SW of Fargo that has some very good though small terrain potential but would have be snowshoe in access.

So just not enough snow right now locally but that is good for making ice on the lakes for those ultra light days and as a last resort if we do not get enough snow to fill in the grass on the WMA/WPA's.

The snow is sitting on one of our best spots - actually THE BEST SPOT we have found so far - Mazeppa WMA/Meyers Lake WPA NE of Watertown, SD. We refer to our best time out there as the "Last day at Mazeppa" when we figured out how to get to the east Valley by going through the fence. I almost would rather have no snow as the freezing rain can easily ruin a good spot if it crusts over snow in the open.

Just waiting now - along with fixing the rock dings and core shots from the Bighorns