South Padre Roster

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Barry P

South Padre Roster

Post by Barry P »

Who's going to South Padre Island? When?

I'll be there Nov 1-15. I mostly kite the Gulf side. If you're thinking about a Downwinder, ping me: 763-232-2726.
KitingKen

Re: South Padre Roster

Post by KitingKen »

Mike K says there are kite-eating sharks on the golf side so I'm staying on the lagoon side. Although I heard there are shark-eating octopus lurking in the lagoon. Good incentives to stay on top of the water on either side! I'm going Nov 6-11 as a first timer. Looking forward to see what this is all about and meeting everyone.

Ken
Drvermin

Post by Drvermin »

There are things we are exposed to that are far more dangerous than sharks:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/20-thi ... arks-every
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

I kited past a 6' shark last year at Padre. Very nice fellow. He was going was going one direction and I was going the opposite. He surface about 20 feet ahead of me and as we passed the wave rolled him over so I could see the bottom side too. As we passed and he rolled, he was just out of reach (if I would have wanted to touch). Although he was totally uninterested in me I tried very hard not to loose my board or fall for quite a while after that.

:shock: :wink: :D
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

Your going to love it Ken.

I added a SPI line to the Locations on my phone wind page: http://kitemn.weebly.com/

Are there other useful links I should add?

Can't wait to hit the road :-)
KitingKen

Post by KitingKen »

As irrational as it is, especially according to the shark article above, I think my legs would freeze if I saw your shark, I'd catch the front edge and then probably get the beast tangled up in my lines. Then I'm certain he would be less casual about my presence.

Whoever goes out to Lk Waconia must have seen some of the massive turtles with shark-like heads?? Twice I was right on the path to run over a 2-3 inch diameter head sticking out of the water. I could see the 1 foot plus diameter shells as they ducked under at the last second. Most people don't think much of turtles, but a childhood friend of mine jumped off a dock and landed on one and it bit a nasty hole in his ankle - like a shark would!
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

Yikes! Yup - never thought to look for turtles.