Duluth Sunday?!

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Geo

Duluth Sunday?!

Post by Geo »

Looks good! Not monster, but winds from 15-25... That probably means 3-4' waves.
Geo

Re: Duluth Sunday?!

Post by Geo »

Oh yeah!
Steady 20 or so. Hazy sunshine. Warming wAter (although I havent been in). 3' waves now.
Launching from tot lot. KO, Stroh, Brian on the way (?)
Randy

Post by Randy »

So glad you guys made it up. Not in the plans for me today, but so jealous. Looks like it turned NE for you. Need a recap to sooth my pain.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

I see it's 20 right now. Asleep at the wheel. I've been eying up next weekend. Could be real good!
BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

...I mean Thursday?
Geo

Post by Geo »

It was a classic set up for Duluth: hot and lousy here, and cool and dry up there. Got to the beach about 11am with partial sun. I had half-heartedly checked the marine forecast out if desperation as much as anything Saturday. After giving the shout out to our crew (it's always windier with more peeps on the water), I decided to head up alone and see what woukd happen. Maybe all that deck sanding and painting Saturday woukd pay off in wind karma? Or so I hoped.
KO was on the fence, and after 12 emails and 6 calls Saturday morning (and that was just to me!), overcame family cabin pressure and got the go bug.
So I rigged up in 20mph wind and 3' disorganized surf. Not much room on the beach, but the water is shallow enough to self launch. It clouded over pretty quickly, but the wind stayed up. Looking at the sky harbor report, the wind was 20,21,22 for six straight hours. It only dipped a bit as it went from east (the direction that I've mostly sailed in up there), and NE.

Stroh, Brian, KO all showed up and we had it all on surfboards. When the wind started blowing ne about 1, the surf cleaned up miraculously to have big, smooth, shallow waves up to 6' or more. We were pretty far apart usually, but I remember one run that Stroh and I took that we rode the same breaking wave for a few hundred yards cutting back into the crest 8 or more times.
I had the huge opportunity to sail waddel creek strapless with the locals a week before in almost the same conditions, so it was a great to appreciate the gift-even as rare as it is- that the mother can give when everything lines up right. At Waddell, there is basically one zone where they break, and you line up for the cut into those waves. In Duluth, you can ride inside or out and find waves that are anywhere between 1 second and 5 seconds apart. That longer period seems like an eternity when we've been dealing with lake chop.

I didn't really notice much difference in the bouyancy of salt water vs. lake, but I was on a shorter but probably more buoyant board in Duluth (5-8 vs 6-0). I think the more you go strapless in those conditions, the more it feels weird to have straps on, aittle bank, ankle bend or board hop, and the waves just push that thing right into your feet.
I tried the twin tip for about 1/2 hour, and it was fun - huge hang time in the steady winds. Cutting up the too of a 6' swell from a glassy trough is The Way to jump. They should all be like that.
Still, it was great to get back on the surfboard and just be more connected to the waves. On a twin tip, the soundtrack is Hawaii 5-0; on the surfboard, maybe Satie or Ravel.
Are there more chances this year? I don't know. That's what makes the ones you do get so special.
Dave Z

Post by Dave Z »

Love the days up there when it's a steady 20. A little more friendly when you eat it! Hope somebody can get on it today:

TODAY
E WIND 10 TO 15 KT BECOMING NE 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS TO
30 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS
LATE IN THE MORNING. SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS LIKELY IN THE
AFTERNOON. WAVES 1 TO 3 FT BUILDING TO 3 TO 5 FT.

TONIGHT
NE WIND 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS TO 30 KT DECREASING TO
5 TO 10 KT. AREAS OF FOG THROUGH THE NIGHT. SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS LIKELY IN THE EVENING. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS AFTER MIDNIGHT. WAVES 3 TO 5 FT SUBSIDING TO 1 TO
Randy

Post by Randy »

So hungry. Thanks for the great report Geoff. Anybody make it up yesterday? Brian, I'm starting to know how you've felt stuck at work when Mother begs our calling. These are the finest days of the season and such a treat when the wind turns on.
Thinking of a south shore fall tour, Duluth to Picture Rocks south to Lake Michigan, following the Wisconsin shoreline and cutting across central Wisconsin home. It's a three or four day journey. Any interest in being on the call list? October is usually the best time for reliable winds.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Randy

Post by Randy »

Judd and I are heading up now, hoping to be there by 1pm. Fingers crossed. If not, hopefully we get to see the Blue Angels.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com