US Nationals in WORTHINGTON in 2 weeks

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

ardenalan

US Nationals in WORTHINGTON in 2 weeks

Post by ardenalan »

For anyone that hasn't heard, US Nationals are coming up June 11-15 in Worthington, MN. It would be great to have a strong contingent from the Midwest.

New for this year: Slalom Racing will be included at Worthington this year. Slalom is one of the most exhilarating and accessible forms of windsurfing so everyone is welcome to enter, from Pros to First Timers. Slalom Racing will be an additional discipline run at separate times from Course Racing (Formula, Kona, Open, and Sport Fleets), so course racers may also register to compete on Slalom. Fleets for Slalom and sub-divisions will be assigned in accordance with registration.

As always, music will also be a large part of the festivities. "Through dogged determination and a devil-may-care-attitude we have stretched our imagination and budget to rustled up some of the finest musical entertainment ever provided to Windsurfers. The evenings on Sailboard beach will be memorable! Opening ceremonies Wed. musical lineup will include Ray Wylie Hubbard. Ray Hubbard from Austin Texas has recently appeared on the David Letterman Show. The main sound stage will power up on Wednesday and there will be music every night.

More info:
http://worthingtonwindsurfing.com/home/
http://uswindsurfing.org/2014/05/us-win ... -amped-up/
Ray Wylie Hubbard on David Lettermen:

Let me know if you have any questions. arden.EL11@gmail.com

I hope to see you there!
Arden
Great Lakes Regional Director for US Windsurfing
adamel111

Re: US Nationals in WORTHINGTON in 2 weeks

Post by adamel111 »

I'll be there.
Adam Anderson
Matt V

Post by Matt V »

What is the camping situation up there? Every year they talked about letting us pitch a tent on sailboard beach at/by the event area. I missed last year - so.... - Did they get it so we can camp right there?
ardenalan

Post by ardenalan »

I am trying to get confirmation on camping on/alongside the beach. Will post when I find out. I know that rule hasn't really been enforced in the past because some people have still done it. Just not sure that it is technically allowed.

FYI, there is a campground kind of on the other side of the lake. Not too far away but further than I would want to walk.

See you there!
Arden
Matt V

Post by Matt V »

I emailed Craig, and it seems nothing has changed - but Bill is supposed to get back to me on the official ruling. As it stands now and has in the past, I am pretty sure they will not let you keep a tent up over night at the event site. I have been stopped by the night security patrol a few times and I am happy they always recognized me as a windsurfer so I had no issues. But again, unless I hear different from the locals, no tents on the beach site.
ardenalan

Post by ardenalan »

Matt - where are you driving from for Nationals? A guy coming from Nevada contacted me that he is flying into Omaha and is wondering if there is anyone he can ride with to Worthington. Let me know if you know of any options for him. 920-2five1-eight648.

If anyone else on Lakawa knows of anything, let me know too...

Thanks!
Arden
ardenalan

Post by ardenalan »

Also, the forecast for the week is looking pretty good. Around 15-20 on Wed, upper teens to upper 20's Thursday, 10-15 Friday, and again up to 15-25 on Saturday!
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... headDay=48

We will be running slalom this year and Thursday and Saturday look like great days for it. Come out and have some fun!

Arden