Flying to Costa Rica This Weekend..

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Drave_Berts

Flying to Costa Rica This Weekend..

Post by Drave_Berts »

Flying out to Costa for a week on Lake Arenal..

I've been searching all over the web for recent posts regarding travel ability with a "golf bag", most info. is rather dated and airlines seem to be constantly changing..

Here's what I've gathered so far:
• If bringing gear attempt to put your gear in a "golf bag"
• **Hope** the bag checker is friendly.
• Keep said bag under 50#
• If concerned put a golf club or two in the bag.
• No guarantees..

Costs associated:
• Bag purchase $150-200.00
• Airline possible charge (Delta) $150ish there, $150ish Back ($300 total) They Specifically state that charge for a Kiteboard/surf board.
Worst case scenario: $500!!!!!! At this point that $200ish/week board rental is starting to look really appealing..

My plan is to buy the crazyfly bag off Mike to give it a go, but with that I have a concern or two. Perhaps someone could offer their experience with this bag.

1. Crazyfly is written all over the bag.. Does this throw out the "golf bag" disguise?
2. Has any had recent Delta specific experiences with this bag or other bags?
3. Anyone kited Lake Arenal?

Thanks all.

-Dave
jrjohnson1

Re: Flying to Costa Rica This Weekend..

Post by jrjohnson1 »

I have the NSI Deceiver bag. I originally bought the bag because in my opinion it actually looks like a golf bag and is further disguised with the word "golf" on it. I've used it twice in the last 2 years and I was able to get by both Sun Country and Delta agents without harassment. On both trips I went with guys that had the coffin style bags, one of the guys was using the Crazyfly bag. I watched carefully the agent's reaction to his bag because in my opinion it doesn't look anything like a golf bag. He got by without the agent flinching however on the other trip the guy with a similar bag was charged extra. Based on my observation, it all depends on the agent, luck of the draw. If you're unlucky enough to get a manager or the agent's manager is nearby, I think you're more likely to be charged. If you're going to roll the dice when it comes expensive bag fees, doesn't it make sense to use a bag that looks like it's designed to fit golf clubs versus kiteboards? If the kiting community as a whole stopped using those coffin bags, bags that obviously aren't carrying golf clubs, maybe we could all benefit because the agents would be less alert to unusual bags if we're not using something blatantly obvious to have something other than golf clubs. With less alert agents we're all more likely to fly cheaper without harassment and we don't have to put the agents in an awkward position by hoping they're gullible enough to believe golf clubs are carried in coffin bags in front of their managers. I also work in customer service and know how uncomfortable it can be making a customer pay more to avoid grief by your manager at the expense of the customer being upset. The point being, both kiters and airline employees benefit if we make the effort to blend in.
Drvermin

Post by Drvermin »

If you are interested I have a golf bag I am not using and you are welcome to use it. It is brand new (only used once). I have heard that if they are banged up it helps make them get through checkers easier. So if you want to borrow it you are welcome to come to Lake Elmo and pick it up sometime.
Drave_Berts

Post by Drave_Berts »

Drvermin wrote:If you are interested I have a golf bag I am not using and you are welcome to use it. It is brand new (only used once). I have heard that if they are banged up it helps make them get through checkers easier. So if you want to borrow it you are welcome to come to Lake Elmo and pick it up sometime.
Any chance that bag would hold a 153cm'ish Lightwave board?
Drvermin

Post by Drvermin »

I'm not sure if it will hold that. Let me try putting my Crazy Fly or my Slingshot Glide in it and see if either of them fit. I'll give it a try late tonight and I'll let you know.
Drvermin

Post by Drvermin »

I just tried to fit my boards into my golf bag and neither of them fit. Not even close. Boards are too long and too wide. A small board might fit, but not a lite wind one.
SteveJ

Post by SteveJ »

I have always found you can get away with more if you check your stuff in at the curb with the sky-cab or whatever they are called. They work for tips and giving them a good tip usually will allow you to get by with overweight/size bags. Its been a while but assume they still have this service at Mpls.
shera

Post by shera »

I do things a bit different.....I strip the boards down and wrap them in carpet, card board and duct tape. Delta and others only consider it another bag, no extra fees ever. Then I pack another bag with kites, gear and clothes. I have a Delta card, so first bag is free. Only $25 each way then. Since the boards are so light, I have never had any issues, questions, etc. Better then trying to "hide" your intentions, just put them out there!

Good luck!

Leah