Tampa /clearwater

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

BUCKAROO

Tampa /clearwater

Post by BUCKAROO »

I am a long time winter kite skier

I am going to be in Clearwater the first week of February, can anybody point me in the right direction regarding a name of someone I could take a kite board lesson from when I am down there rather than just finding a random person on the internet ?

I seem to remember the water is warm on the Gulf side? Will i need a wetsuit at that time of the year ?

Thanks in advance for anyhelp

Craig
sco_dubbl_T

Re: Tampa /clearwater

Post by sco_dubbl_T »

Craig,
I was just down there and they have a great group of kiters. On Facebook look for "Florida Kiteboarding Community" and request access. Someone will add you. In the photos, albums, there is an album for Tampa Bay area. There are satellite photos showing rigging, launching, riding, etc. In the comments for the photos are textual description of wind directions, what look out for, etc.

A couple of POCs - take a look at watersportswest.com. Give them a call and talk to SteveO. Really great guy. They do lessons. There's another guy who teaches in the area named Brad and I can get you his contact details if you want. I didn't take lessons from anyone there, so I can't talk to their teaching abilities, but both Brad and Steve are great resources.

Water temp last week wasn't too bad. I was in board shorts and a hoodie. Most people were in shortys. I'm not sure what the temp would be in Feb. I would bring a wetsuit though if you have one.

Steve at watersports told me that in FL it's either rockin or light so basically bring a 7 or a 17m. Of course if you're taking lessons, they'll provide the gear.

I may actually be down there heading out on a cruise the 6th - back the 10th. When are you there? Maybe I could go in early as an excuse to ride.

Scott
This pic was from last Saturday - too bad I missed it. I rode at Ft DeSoto - great place lots of room to rig and ride. Very shallow for a long way out.