new kite world speed record at 56 knots ~63MPH!

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

speedsailor93

new kite world speed record at 56 knots ~63MPH!

Post by speedsailor93 »

Looks like the bar has been raised again a few weeks ago in France per the news below. I was at the World Speeds in 87 when Fred Hayward was the first to break 40 knots on water and I still have his old sails but now use them on my iceboats. they are still incredibly fast even they they are almost 30 years old now! Imagine to keep driving this up the next phase will be using hydrofoils w/kites....any takers?

News just in from the IKA on Alex Caizergues' soon to be official record run in France

The third edition of "Salt and Speed" in Salin-de-Giraud (France), which is scheduled from November 6 to December 5, is on a mission to establish itself as 'the' speed sailing location.

The venue of Luderitz, Namibia has held the 'fastest track' title, which is where American kiter Rob Douglas set the outright speed record of 55.65 kts in 2010, later raised by Paul Larsen (AUS) to 65.45 kts on Vestas Sailrocket 2 in 2012.

But today (Nov. 11, 2013), Alexandre Caizergues (FRA) in Salin-de-Giraud exploded the world kite speed record with a staggering average of 56.62 knots.

"I am delighted. It's great, it's fantastic, "said Alex Caizergues."We validate the capabilities of our spot. We knew for a while that this could happen, we could go very quickly. In a north wind blowing between 45 and 50 knots, I made at least 15 runs and every time I was over 50 knots. I enjoyed a good burst to accelerate."

Christophe Simian, an observer for the World Sailing Speed Record Council, was on hand. This record is now awaiting final approval before becoming an official record. Rob will soon be joining Alex, and together they will seek to push the record higher.

http://vimeo.com/79465389
JRN

Re: new kite world speed record at 56 knots ~63MPH!

Post by JRN »

HECK, AL. I've see lil' Deb go faster than that in 5 kts with a 1/2 inflated 4 meter riding a driftwood log in a hailstorm. We should pool all our frequent flier miles and ship her over there! :D
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})