SPI N Flats updates

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

MK

SPI N Flats updates

Post by MK »

SPIKITE

Re: SPI N Flats updates

Post by SPIKITE »

Yes the North Flats is open to kiters

Yes the North Flats is flooded

Yes the North Flats is managed by crusty old windsurfers

Hell YES, SPI kiters now have an alternative beach to launch from, hangout, camp, watch sunsets and bonfire!
The SPI Kite Ranch is now open. The Ranch runs from the beach to bayside, so whether you like flatwater or waves, you meet all of your friends and fellow kiters at the ranch for a beer or 3 =)
Attachments
GOPR0743-001.JPG
GOPR0743-001.JPG (117.39 KiB) Viewed 8259 times
SPIKITE

Post by SPIKITE »

Fun @ the end of the road

Advanced lessons are also $50 an hour at the ranch (big airs, backrolls, air transitions etc...)

Check out SPI KIte Ranch on facebook for updates and photos!
Attachments
beer spi.jpg
beer spi.jpg (139.43 KiB) Viewed 8259 times
SPIKITE

Post by SPIKITE »

Your first session at the SPI kite ranch is free! Just stop by SPI Kiteboarding to fill out a waiver, as the ranch is private property.

BTW, dogs are welcome to roam off leash at the ranch 8)
Attachments
GOPR0602-001.JPG
GOPR0602-001.JPG (112.55 KiB) Viewed 8257 times
SPIKITE

Post by SPIKITE »

Look for the flags 1.5 miles north of beach access #6
Attachments
GOPR0763-001.JPG
GOPR0763-001.JPG (118.52 KiB) Viewed 8257 times
kite ranch (9).jpg
kite ranch (9).jpg (86.21 KiB) Viewed 8257 times
MK

Post by MK »

Good info. There are some loyal windsurfers here in MN btw (the "W" in Lakawa).

Where the tar ends and the Ranch begins is your location? Dodge some creeping sand dunes, a caterpillar plow and park at the end of the road signs? Looks fun. Where can we find pass details? Maybe you can provide in here:) Is it daily, weekly, monthly, annual? Amount? I've scanned your website and FB page. Lots of good info, love the stoke and vibe. I may have missed the details or since it's a newer development I realize this takes time.

I'll have my group coming down riding on Friday:) Maybe we can coordinate a ho-down.
bscheig

Post by bscheig »

Mike
SPI North Flats sounds like a sweet deal. Got an on-site report?

Looking forward to checking it out when I can get there.

Bill
JRN

Post by JRN »

BILL, Glad to hear you're making the trip again this year. Maybe you can take a day to check out the facilities at the Kite Ranch, and give a review for your fellow MNsotans who are stuck here at home. I'm especially interested in the camping facilities. Thanx! Hope you have a BLAST! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
bscheig

Post by bscheig »

Normannnnn

You misunderstood. I'm in MN too. Actually Duluth for my nephews wedding. No SPI reports from me. Not even WBL on Sunday. Maybe SPI in the spring. I was hoping for a report from Mike

Billll
MK

Post by MK »

Interestingly haven't made it the 6 mile trek down. Conditions are virtually the same on South Flatts, North Flatts, and Outlaws. Island word supports it's the same down there. I'll make my way. Gulf side rides and flatts have kept us entertained and transpo loop tighter. Interested in the set-up, I'll report back:)
davepark

Post by davepark »

I drove up to the Ranch on Sunday when I got here and it looks OK. No wind that day so did not kite. It is quite a walk from the parking area to the launch area but there are dead man's available for self launches.

Was at North flats yesterday for a nice afternoon session and was able to stay on the water until the sun set. Unfortunately there was 6 inches of water in the parking area by that time. Not a huge deal but makes things interesting after dark.
MK

Post by MK »

We rode from there twice yesterday for a lagoon side down winder. The first trek racked up 20 miles on the gps tracker ap Endomondo. Good set up there, flooding happening everywhere but nice to have the location. Bonfire there tonight:)