Winter Wind

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

hondamon

Winter Wind

Post by hondamon »

Hey All! Planning my vacation for winter and considering a trip back home to Minnesota again to have a go at snowkiting. What does the wind look like from about Dec 22 to Jan 22? Is it better thsn the summer wind? Thanks much!
jrjohnson1

Re: Winter Wind

Post by jrjohnson1 »

If you look at the attached link, the lower charts shows statistically we're likely to have about 8 or 9 days of wind greater than 15 mph during the Dec 22-Jan 22 time period, about the same or slightly better than the summer months. If you have limited packing space and must choose between a smaller kite or a larger one, choose the larger kite. Spring and fall have the best conditions in Minnesota, especially September & October with their combination of strong wind and warm water. Good times are ahead!

http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwhere.i ... siteID=934
hondamon

Post by hondamon »

Thanks much for the info and the link!
Matt V

Post by Matt V »

If the wind forecast is a bit weak up north or east in Minnesota, take the time to head to the SW of the state. This area is known as the Buffalo Ridge Glacial Escarpment. It runs from Watertown, SD, to Worthington, MN, to Spirit Lake, IA. The wind there is nearly always on. Or at least twice as good as back east. The most common problem with the wind on the Buffalo Ridge is that it is often too high. Many days I have been blow off in +30mph winds when I could have just gone east and been in the sweet spot of 15-20mph. But if you have a full range of kite sizes and know where too look, the best snowkite terrain in the Midwest is located at a few odd geological spots along the Buffalo Ridge. Many of the steepest and gnarliest spots are public land as they were not really suited to farming. But there are some good spots that are private and farmers are really cool with letting you kite if you ask.

If you do not have the wind back east or want terrain, just drive a little SW or W.
hondamon

Post by hondamon »

That is good info. I really appreciate your input. Have a great fall season of kiting!