Door county / Baileys Harbor

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Geo

Door county / Baileys Harbor

Post by Geo »

Looking to be 15-20 south winds from the 4th through Sunday. I will up in sturgeon bay with in laws, and have never had a chance to sail in BH, although it is supposed to be nice on warm southerlies.

Anyone else gonna be in the neighborhood?
Last edited by Geo on Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
adamel111

Re: Door county / baileys harbor this weekend?

Post by adamel111 »

Did you get any wind over the 4th in Door County? I have been in the Fond du Lac/Sheboygan area since Friday. Had a decent breeze on Friday (11.0 formula sail/formula board on Winnebago).

I haven't sailed Bailey's Harbor in Door County. I usually launch in Ephraim. It raged last year when I was there and was great sailing (only had a 7.8 and ended up sailing with a guy that was out on a 4.7).

Adam
Adam Anderson
Geo

Post by Geo »

I did get to Baileys Harbor, and it was GREAT.

After being up at the inlaws cottage in Sturgeon Bay, on the inlet between the big lake and the bay, I've often seen good winds coming through the channel. Unfortunately, the channel is a lousy place to kite, and the texture of the water is disorganized. I've gone out to Lake Michigan a bunch of times - especially on a south wind, only to find....no wind at all. Weird.

Baileys Harbor seems to benefit from a thermal effect on southerlies that create strong, EVEN winds right up into the harbor. There's a great beach that extends at least 100' out of shallow, beautiful sand. Free parking, bathroom on the north side. It blew 15-20+ there for about 4 days straight. I met a guy named Mike from around here who's parents have a place only about a mile or two south of Baileys Harbor, and he said that there wasn't enough wind down there...so the thermal effect is worth checking on.

The wind forecasts were right on, but the mobile internet access in central door county is lousy, so plan ahead.

Apparently the other beaches with bays also create decent wind funnels for other wind directions.

If you search info on kiting in Baileys Harbor, they also refer to a pier of land next to Anclam Park that "is popular". Kited up there to check it out, and although there is a shallow spot with flat water, it suffers from a big wind shadow behind the small peninsula on southerlies at least, so I'd stay in the northern part of the bay.
bscheig

Post by bscheig »

Geo

I've had a similar experience in Door County. Our cabin is about 20 miles south of Bialeys Harbor on the lake. We face about the same direction, maybe even a little more west. The south wind is always a good 5 - 10 knots stronger in BH. Nothing behind us but forest. Maybe that cuts down on the thermals?

Bill
adamel111

Post by adamel111 »

Im headed to fish creek from the 18-21. I hope there is wind. I'll have to check out Baileys if it is good from the south.
Adam Anderson
Reds

Post by Reds »

Yes Bailey's Harbor is awsome on a S or SE. Huge shallow sandy beach. Very Friendly. The Ridges Beach. Or Anclam is the other spot in BH if its more east. North wind is Ephriam. A Rare NE Lights up Nicollete Bay in the State Park. Only kitable on a Ripping day when the floatilla of party boaters are not partying in the bay. NW Murphy Park just South of Egg Harbor on the Bayside. Good Launch with some rocks in the water not to walk on but has sandy beach and park facilities. It On shore so you will have to tack out or jump from the big pier.. DC is wonderful so get some and enjoy. we just got back and had no wind but tons of other fun.
Patrick
adamel111

Re: Door county / Baileys Harbor

Post by adamel111 »

Tomorrow (Wed, Aug. 21) is supposed to be 15-25 out of the SW. Any recommendations for that wind direction? Ephraim might be ok if I just head out past the Nicollet bluffs. Or, I could just launch from Fish Creek and it would probably be sideshore-ish. Would it work at Bailey's Harbor at all?

Adam
Adam Anderson
Mike Kellett

Post by Mike Kellett »

Adam, I'll be back to my house in Door County tomorrow.

Baileys Harbor is the place to be for any south wind SW included.

This week looks good. Tuesday, Wed, Sat, and Sunday are all forecast to
be great south winds.

Give me a call if you want 952-250-0507
mike
RobH

Post by RobH »

Hey Mike,
How long of a drive up, any road construction issues going on heading that direction ?
Rob Hyland
Cabrinha Shop Rider / Lakawa Team Rider
Mike Kellett

Post by Mike Kellett »

Hi Robb, the drive from my house in West Bloomington to my house in DC takes 6.5 hours. But my house is on the water in Gills Rock, the furthest up the peninsula you can go unless you take the ferry to Washington Island.
Baileys is about a 30 minute drive back south from Gills Rock.

The roads are great . From my door in Bloomington its 4 lane divided highway all the way to Sturgeon Bay.
A little road construction around Green Bay, but I've never been held up in bumper to bumper traffic.
Just got back from a wedding around Chicago. Now that's traffic!

I take 494 to 94 to just past Menominee and then east on 29 through Wausau to Green Bay.
Hang a left (North) in Green Bay on 41-141 then a quick South on 43 and then 57 north to Sturgeon Bay.
The road splits right past Sturgeon Bay. Fastest route is to take 57 and go North, but you miss all the quaint
villages on the Green Bay side of the peninsula. 57 goes right into Baileys Harbor and then Sister Bay.

If you are thinking of going sometime, give me a call, I can give you more info. cell 952-250-0507
I'll be on the road today soon heading over there.
mike
cell

I
RobH

Post by RobH »

Hey Thanks Mike,

Have a long weekend coming up, not long enough for a 7 hour trek though. I was just talking with Jeremy P about door county and sounds like its a must do. Ill take you up on your offer if we decide to head that way.
Thanks again,
Rob
Rob Hyland
Cabrinha Shop Rider / Lakawa Team Rider
Mike Kellett

Post by Mike Kellett »

Rob, you are correct. When the salmon fishing was hot in the 80's I made the long weekend trips, but its really not a weekend destination from here.
I usually go for 2-3 weeks at a time.

Door County is a good destination with lots of things to do and maybe get a little kiting in
not the other way around.

Mille is closer and usually the same smooth winds.

mike
adamel111

Post by adamel111 »

Mike, I'll give you a call this afternoon. I should be free most of tomorrow. I have a 4 month old - I am watching him tonight so I get the pass to sail tomorrow. I can probably get to Bailey's Harbor before noon tomorrow. I'll have to get some directions to the launch spot because I'm not as familiar with that area. My number is 651-274-2962 if you want to call.

Adam
Adam Anderson