New Rider

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

mblown

New Rider

Post by mblown »

Hello,

I'm a new kiter living in St. Paul. I've had a few days of lessons at Cape Hatteras, NC from my buddy at Real Watersports. I don't know any other kiters around here and would like to get out and practice more. I'm able to get up and ride although I'm not sure if I'm self sufficient at going upwind yet. Where would be the best spot for me to get out? I'm tired of looking at all my gear just sitting around!

Thanks,

Matt
KitingKen

Re: New Rider

Post by KitingKen »

I'm too new to give much advice, but welcome anyway. I started last fall in the snow and am just now trying to get a hang of the water.

Check out this link for lakes if you haven't already.

http://www.lakawa.com/lakes/lakes.html

Sounds like Mille Lacs is the best of the best, I need to get there soon. Lake Waconia is pretty good, fewer boats, some shallows on the north end. Lake Minnetonka is tricky without being experienced and I did not get up.

I was at Waconia last Friday and there about 10 kiters. I recommend stopping by all the locations you can around the twin cities, check out the launch area, and if its windy you'll run into other kiters too.

Good Luck!
Ken
Tighe

Re: New Rider

Post by Tighe »

Welcome to the area. Unfortunately most of our lakes get deep pretty quickly so launches aren't quite as easy as Hatteras. As the other rider pointed out Mille lacs is by far the best place to ride and the best place to work on stuff. Malmo on the NE corner has shallows that extend about a half Mile out and run for about 5 miles. South winds can have you zigzagging downwind along the shore in shallows the whole time.

Before you are staying upwind be sure to find a launch with side shore winds for the day. Else there is too much risk of getting blown into the trees that line most shores.

When you get to the point of staying upwind there are a lot of great options. Wind direction usually determines where to go. The lakes section is a good guide.

There is a mn kiters Facebook page.

Look forward to seeing you at the lake.
Tighe