Gathering this year at Milly?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

scottman

Gathering this year at Milly?

Post by scottman »

Anyone have an idea of when the gathering would be, I want to be able to book a spot so that I can make it this year.
JRN

Re: Gathering this year at Milly?

Post by JRN »

YOU NAME THE DATE & THE SPOT! We'll all show up. Maybe Caroline will let me buy her a lemonade? I miss those days at Carlsona. Rumor has it you guys are going to do the Road Gypsy thing. I hope when you're down south, that you can find a place that REALLY knows how to do Chicken & Waffles. I've got your old board to remember you both by. Call me anytime you're around and show me how you ride that thing. Bon Voyage. We'll miss seeing you out there. Say HI to Darlene if you get down to Fla. Dang, all the fun riders are leaving. Guess I'll have to start RV shopping. :wink:
Last edited by JRN on Sat May 25, 2013 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
JRN

Post by JRN »

HOW ABOUT REDDY & MALMO OR GARRISON TODAY? :roll:
WARNING:
scottman

Post by scottman »

Hey Jim thanks for the kind words, we are not gone yet, got one more year here until we take off for good and hit the road, house is up for sale now, just hoping it goes fast so we can move into the RV for the rest of the summer!

I was just wanting to know when the group normally had the gathering, can't really remember what weekend it was on, wanted to know when everyone planned on doing one so I can make plans.

still have two bladders I need to replace in two kites then I'll be back on the water when I get the chance, hope to start to see people around again.
MK

Post by MK »

Weekend of July 27th sound good? Naturally there will be conflicts but I can start working on getting some brands to be involved with a date too...
MK

Post by MK »

Lightwave, Naish, Crazyfly, Ozone, Blade, Best, and Cabrihna have all experessed interest now in an exact date. Of course SS will be represented too, I'm likely missing others who have also responded. I'm continuing to move forward with this date. Cool??
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

Cool :wink:
magicninja

Post by magicninja »

If I'm not mistaken July 26, 27, 28th are Garrison Play Days. Just a heads up for lodging scenario and what not.
JRN

Post by JRN »

AUG 8-12 = JRN's Family Gathering. Pre-load , or steer clear of Finlayson. Can we hold the Crossing @ the Gorge this year? It is alot easier to cross and leaves more time to party. :mrgreen:
WARNING:
jyetley

Post by jyetley »

Does anyone know what a Propane Burn is?

http://garrisonmncom.fatcow.com/?page_id=1152
MK

Post by MK »

Excellent! Looks like we have entertainment options. Nice work Jason.
Engineer

Post by Engineer »

I'm staying on Mille Lacs for the summer and love kiting. I've kited Malmo a few times already the last few summers. Awesome launch.
Does the gathering always take place at Malmo or does it depend on the direction of the wind? Do I need a formal invite to attend?
MK

Post by MK »

You are formally invited:) A fair amount of demo gearing coming from Ozone, Crazyfly, Naish, and a few others. Malmo is fantastic but yes, wind dependent location. It will be a gametime location decision of either Malmo, Reddy, or Garrison: http://www.lakawa.com/lakes/millacs.html

I'm looking forward to it.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Invites are not needed. The gathering has a history of being the non event of the summer. There is no registration, no formalities, non of that stuff than can clog the essence of the sport, getting together, hanging a bit, riding a bit, hopefully laughing a lot. This approach also eliminates the need for insurance. No one entity is running the show so no one is accountable.

There usually are some brands represented, some with demos available. There usually are lessons going most of the weekend by all the schools in the area. If you are new to the sport it's a great time to talk to the different schools/instructors, hear about their programs and maybe take a lesson in the best spot to learn in the state. It's also a great time to meet other riders, find out about gear and the sport in general, etc etc. And it is wind dependent. Last year we tried booking in two or three weekends, making the call based on wind. Unfortunately none of the weekends came through. It is challenging setting a date for the middle of summer and hoping the winds come through. And, sometimes it does work out and the wind gods grace us with great conditions.

Believe and maybe we can all manifest a great weekend of wind.
Tighe
JRN

Post by JRN »

MAYBE ONLY US OLD TIMERS REMEMBER WHO ORIGINALLY CONCEIVED THE GATHERING. I think it was so no one would have liability for insurance purposes. If there was no formal announcement, no one could be held responsible if anything went wrong. As far as "the Crossing" is concerned, it has a tradition that is even older, harking back to Rhyme of the Ancient Windsurfer: Fleet 8 is one of, if not the OLDEST sanctioned wind racing bodies in the U.S! Go to their site, or ask our friend, Michael Fox (not THAT one) about it. So if you young whippersnappers will just listen to your elders, you'd realize, despite these johnny come latelies, that its been going down alot longer than we even realize...Scows on WBL, Ice Boating D'Bear, and whatever pale imitations you West Side Windfreaks lay claim to. :wink: JRN
WARNING:
MK

Post by MK »

Lightwave Dave and I are heading up Friday for the weekend. Fair amount of gear from SS, Best, Ozone, Crazyfly, Naish, Blade and my memory may be failing with other stuff coming in. Probably set up in Malmo. Eta 1pm.
MK

Post by MK »

Wind dictates the set-up, possibly need to move location, stay tuned for location/details for game-time decisions.
RobH

Post by RobH »

Saturday forecast improving! Looking forward to seeing the demo gear and hopefully flying some of the new lw kites.
Rob Hyland
Cabrinha Shop Rider / Lakawa Team Rider
magicninja

Post by magicninja »

What's the word. FH or Garrison?
MK

Post by MK »

Malmo is working for now. A few at fh. Nice turn out today :)