Help with T3 below the bar depower

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Mike G.

Help with T3 below the bar depower

Post by Mike G. »

When overpowered using my 14 T3 and the chicken loop is uncleated in the full power position it's impossible to depower with one hand and difficult even pulling on the line above the bar with the other hand. The knob seems to get wedged in the cleat. Normally I cleat the line but occasionally it pops free full on.

Anyone found a solution to this?

Mike
Tighe

Re: Help with T3 below the bar depower

Post by Tighe »

Never a good idea to run the line all the way out. Hard to adjust and wears the line prematurely. Always cleat it off a bit.

I've seen some put an inch of tubing on the line next to the knob to give them a bit more to grab.

Also you probably already know this, the best way to release the line from the cleat it to pull down not out.

hope that helps

ride on
Tighe
MK

Post by MK »

Yeah, its not an easy solution with how SS has the below the bar depower/trim line. Naish also offers this as well as a few other kite brands. Even with my massive biceps and grip of steel I have a hard time adjusting it occasionally. It's not the brand, its a function of where it is and how much tension/power is on that line. It helps to fly the kite in less powered area of wind window and push out on the bar then give it a go, even set your kite down on the wingtip and adjust:
Screen shot 2013-05-22 at 10.10.20 PM.png
Screen shot 2013-05-22 at 10.10.20 PM.png (119.76 KiB) Viewed 5428 times
If you can, get it wet and wedge it in like tighe stated. It's good practice (opinion) to pull it in a few extra inches on landing and launching to take some of the power out at these critical times, then readjust it accordingly; more of a safety comment to consider. Also, you may already do this but its clever to put graduated marks on that line to see how the power feels at-or-around each mark, every .5" to 1' for example. Also, also, its most effective within the 6" to 8" range of use. Some may get more security out of more. Travis and I were riding last Tuesday on the 90+ degree day - I was on a 12M (210lbs) and he rode a 14M (175lbs). Winds developed well into the 20's with respectable gusts, Travis trimmed his line past 8" (but he was able to hold it down and enjoy his session).

Alternatives are ATB - Above The Bar with either the tassels Cabs have or Red/Blue canvas tabs like Best, Naish too offers this. But the canvas can get settled around buckels and make it a little difficult to trim too, not impossible but require effort. North with their 5th line bar simply puts this particular procedure (your point of the post) on the 5th line that runs center onto LE and it is considerably easier to pull on, no struggle. All 5th line kites can can be depowered that way. It's personal preference; for some the 5th line is enough to drive them mad while others revel in its functions.

Glad to see you are using it though. It helps us in the endless pursuit to FIND YOUR RIDE. The trim line is a valuable feature you payed for, its on most all recent model kites, its part of the experience, keep using it:)

I wish it were easier to adjust too. There are a lot of good personal preference options on the market today for features just like this. That may be a decision maker for you to consider in the future. Keep in mind that this sytem has moved forward into the current SS models and even though I agree it is difficult to adjust at times I still use them:)
Tim Dunklee

Post by Tim Dunklee »

Great tips by the guys above. One last thing though... It really helps to ride slightly down wind when you go to pull the trim line. This takes a bit of tension off the lines and makes it easier to uncleat. I ride mostly Liquid Force kites which have a below the bar depower just like Slingshot and this little tip helps out a ton.
Reds

Post by Reds »

I will sometimes stop and set the kite down on the wingtip to the side and then trim it in. relaunch and go
Patrick
Mike G.

Post by Mike G. »

All good tips; thanks.
I should mention I don't have the same issue with my Rally 12, although there is much less bar pressure so that may have something to do with it. I haven't flown the Rally 14.

Mike
Terry Dunklee

Post by Terry Dunklee »

One other tip that you may have already resorted to. Let go of the bar, grab the cleat and the round plastic piece that it mounts to with one hand to stabilize it, then yank down with the other hand on the de-power handle to release the line. If you are quick you can do this all while the kite is flying, but probably safer to do when you have the kite on it's wingtip at the edge of the window.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

I highly doubt your best option is to get an above the bar adjustment. That is so 2002, and such a step backward. All that crap up there flailing around, who would want that? All SS kites since about 2009 have a thinner more dense adjustment line and a better cleat and are much easier to adjust. IMO SS bars are the cleanest, safest bar out there. The swivel on the newer bars is revolutionary.

ride on.
Tighe
Mike G.

Post by Mike G. »

Tighe, yesterday I rode the Rally and noticed the bit of tubing you mentioned before the knob. I'm assuming that's the stock setup now on the new Comp Stick bars?

The new system seems to work pretty well so I'm going to try the tubing mod on the old bar.

Tim, heading off wind slightly helps alot thanks.

Mike
JRN

Post by JRN »

CHICKEN LOOP originated from the pioneer 2-line kiters who thought safety features of any kind were for sissies. Today the sport has evolved. Now we think that de-power is for girls. Tie a knot in that thing , and be a MAN, d@^^^^it! That IS a joke. Please don't make me explain the punch-line. :mrgreen:
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})