light wind boards

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

JimPat

light wind boards

Post by JimPat »

Anyone selling a light wind board or surf board? I don't want to be standing on the beach on the light wind days!
I should have never sold my spleene (board)! I know nothing about surf boards so any chat/info on where to start with
these and size for a 200lb rider would be much appreciated.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing you all at the beach ( correction- I'd prefer it to be on the water!!!!).
Jim & Patty
RV Team Riders
Waconia, SPI, Hood River
952-457-8939
JERRY

Re: light wind boards

Post by JERRY »

YOU SOLD YOU'RE SPLEENE BOARD :shock:
"The Pessimist complains about the wind; the optomist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." William Arther Ward
johnz

Post by johnz »

Hi, Jimmy,

I don't think surfboards make great light wind boards.

They are a blast for a bunch of other stuff, but the rails are too soft and the fins have too much drag.

Just my two cents.
John Z
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
MK

Post by MK »

I've noticed a lot of positive feedback and response fromt the Lightwave boards. They cost less than the Doors and have begun to populate our area. In SPI they were more prevalent too, so much so that given the good reviews and popularity I recently opened a dealer account with them to sell them at the store. http://www.litewavekiteboards.com/produ ... -wing.html
Reds

Post by Reds »

spleene 164 get it back
Patrick
JRN

Post by JRN »

Haven't tried any of these brands, but opted for a 17 meter and a smaller board instead. Everyone raves about them. Door 164....liking it 'cause it rhymes. :wink: I think almost all of the board makers offer a long & wide light wind version. SS has the Glide & LF has the "low rider" which must
mean it is low in the water when you or I are on it (+ 200# and growing). Pass the chips...where's my beer? :?
Last edited by JRN on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
efjanssen

Post by efjanssen »

My friend Steve swears by the Airush Sector. If he can launch a kite he can ride. Plus it is fast and is an upwind machine.
Diego

Post by Diego »

The Sector has a lot of fans for its light wind ability and fun factor. It is pricy though and you'll need to get the weed fin set to ride around here. North nugget is another option. I'm working on a strapless light wind board that hopefully will be super fun to ride. If you see me at the beach and want to take it out for a spin, let me know. I should have it done by the time the lakes open up.
Geo

Post by Geo »

Jim -

I am going to pass on the surfboard that I learned on...(Diego gets first digs 'cause he was the one who found it for me.)
Why am I passing on it? 'cause I thought I wanted a strapped and strapless board. Now I only ride strapless. Simplify simplify.

Surfboards are not super light wind, but they will work better than anything that is not a Door kind of shape. Totally different KIND of riding, though.
You know, like a surfboard.

If you want it, let me know.
JRN

Post by JRN »

DIEGO, I heard good things about the "Travel Board" that you built. How about posting some pics? Maybe even some of your light wind project. signed, (the other) Jim
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Aga

Post by Aga »

Hey Jim;

Your board still has your name and phone # on it! (Remember you promised to sell it back to me if it makes it back to you again :-).)
Maybe we could create a time share agreement !?

Aga
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

I love the feel of riding a surfboard. Strapped or not, its all more fun for my tastes than a square board. I have two surfboards. The best of the two in light wind is a 5' 6" FireWire Hellfire.

I still have a 154 Door for light wind bottom feeding. I can come close on the Hellfire but still not quite as low. The Door is way less fun, but it is certainly more fun than sitting on shore. It's sort of like - if I can't kite efficiently enough to make a surfboard work, my punishment is to kite on a Door.

I'm going to try a 5 fin set on the Hellfire this year and see if I can get a little closer to matching the low end range of the Door while still hanging on to the fun factor I love.

Will it work? I gotta try.
Jay_M

Post by Jay_M »

Spleene Session is a nice compromise.