Friday could be an Epic Day on Mille Lacs

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Mike B

Friday could be an Epic Day on Mille Lacs

Post by Mike B »

Up to a foot of new snow is possible. That would be about 2 feet since last Friday! Last Sunday was great wind and snow. The wind should be 20+ NNE. More mid-winter conditions - don't miss it! I should be there about noon. Still figuring out where to launch. Last week the east side had more slush and soft spots at the shore - the Southwest side had no slush and was solid near shore. If the wind has enough north in it, I will likely go just north of the 169/27 split. Otherwise, maby Izaty's or Lybeck's area. I will post when I know.
Midwest Mountaineering/Ozone Team Rider
Iceman

Re: Friday could be an Epic Day on Mille Lacs

Post by Iceman »

I was thinking Mille also if anybody can update on where to park. I am going early.

Iceman
jrjohnson1

Post by jrjohnson1 »

I agree, conditions at Mille on Friday should be ideal! I plan to be there in the morning as well. Weather.com is forecasting a NNW wind direction throughout the day at Isle. Maybe we should launch from Izaty's since that spot will work with either a NW or a NNW wind direction while Lyback's is too far east for a NNW wind. Also according to Google maps, it looks as though Izaty's has parking available at the following location: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=8302+Tuxe ... 56359&z=11

I've never been to this location, but I assume it's ok to park here? The address is: 8302 Tuxedo Road, Onamia, MN 55369 Should we use this spot as our lake access point? If there's another spot that would work better or is likely to have the least amount of slush, please post.
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

I have had no problem parking at Izaty's in the past, altough it's been a while. Usually parked right wher the ice road would go out onto the ice. The parking lot by the Bar/Rest. is not far if need be. I don't know the ice or slush conditions there, maybe we should pick an alternate spot if it ends up being too slushy.
Midwest Mountaineering/Ozone Team Rider
JERRY

Post by JERRY »

I'm in......if not snowed in.
"The Pessimist complains about the wind; the optomist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." William Arther Ward
JERRY

Post by JERRY »

Roads suck.....after 6mi. made u turn home
"The Pessimist complains about the wind; the optomist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." William Arther Ward
macattack

Post by macattack »

I am here at Izatys. parked at last building by main clubhouse on tuxedo road. anybody else around here? Holy shit it looks EPIC!!!!!
JERRY

Post by JERRY »

Well....how was it?
jrjohnson1

Post by jrjohnson1 »

The conditions not only looked EPIC, they were EPIC. I'm glad I had the chance to experience the day at Mille Lacs, once again she delivered. The winds were steady in the mid 20s, there was a foot of fresh snow, and the skies were sunny! What more could one ask for? For the most part hwy 169 was dry on both the drive up and back. Mike B. and the Macattack were also there to enjoy the conditions, but the Iceman was MIA.