WBL this week?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Bryce

WBL this week?

Post by Bryce »

How is the conditions? I'm down in the northern suburbs to work this week and tossed my kiting stuff in.... fun to get out if possible!
Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map
slopecat

Re: WBL this week?

Post by slopecat »

I'm not sure what its like today, but I plan to head over to Mahtomedi beach this afternoon. I was out Friday and the snow was melting fast. There was some water and a lot of slush but few bare spots at the time. There were still trucks driving on parts of the lake so there is plenty of ice. Since then we have had a thunder storm and warm temps so the snow is probably gone.

Mike
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

5 of us were on WBL until sunset on Sunday. Conditions are good and FAST! Planning on going out on Monday after 5:30 at Mahtomedi. Will I see you there?
Midwest Mountaineering/Ozone Team Rider
slopecat

Post by slopecat »

Mike B wrote:5 of us were on WBL until sunset on Sunday. Conditions are good and FAST! Planning on going out on Monday after 5:30 at Mahtomedi. Will I see you there?
I need to be home by 6pm at the latest so I will probably miss you. I plan to be there a little earlier.
jrjohnson1

Post by jrjohnson1 »

I plan to stop by Mahtomedi around 2:00 to check out conditions. I drove up to Mille Lacs yesterday. The webcams were looking good and I was desperate to get one last good snow session in. It was a bust. The wind was good but the surface was mostly standing water under thin icy crust, I kited for about 20 minutes then packed it up.
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

There is some thin icy crust in the near shore areas of WBL, but the center areas were good. Just watch out for the bad stuff around the shore. 8)
Midwest Mountaineering/Ozone Team Rider
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Yup I'll be heading out... see ya guys there!
Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map
slopecat

Post by slopecat »

Mike B wrote:Conditions are good and FAST!
It was fast indeed. I found more wind than forecast as well. I was expecting 9mph but found 16-20 by my wind meter. Considering the icy surface I decided to see what I could do with my 3m foil. That was all I rode and I really did have a good time. When I was done the GPS showed I had gone 22 miles with a top speed of 38mph. With similar winds in the forecast for the next few days I will be headed back.