Recommendation for snowkiting gloves

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Netdewt

Recommendation for snowkiting gloves

Post by Netdewt »

What would you recommend for snowkiting gloves? What I have don't work at all for dealing with the bar, lines and releases, etc.

Competitive ski gloves? Biking gloves? Has anyone found a great product/solution?
jrjohnson1

Re: Recommendation for snowkiting gloves

Post by jrjohnson1 »

Ice climbing gloves. I have the Black Diamond Punisher Gloves and absolutely love them. They provide good dexterity for working with lines, provide good warmth but are still breathable, have EVA foam padding to protect your hands during wipe outs, are pre-curved for a comfortable grip on your bar, and are made with quality material (goat leather). I've had my gloves for several years and have used them at least a 100 times snowkiting and they have yet to show any sign of wear. Priced at $89, they are a little expensive and I was very reluctant to buy them, but after continuously being discouraged with other gloves, I finally splurged for them and boy am I glad I did. Nice fitting, quality made gloves are hard to find, these gloves are worth every penny. If I ever lost mine, I'd buy them again in a heart beat. Easily the best gloves I have ever owned. I have the black ones and found them at Midwest Mountaineering. Or you could opt for the ugly lime green colored gloves as a means to discourage potential thieves. :)
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en ... sher-glove
Iceman

Post by Iceman »

I like mine so much I have a new pair waiting for me to wear out the old ones. And they are on sale now. If I need to do something with the kite I can let them hang down from the straps.

Item: IK-921909

Cabela's GORE-TEX® Pinnacle Gloves

•Top-grade deerskin leather palms
•Waterproof, breathable GORE-TEX membranes
•150-gram Thinsulate Supreme Insulation
Even the near-arctic cold and freezing precipitation of the dead of winter can’t break through the superior warmth and waterproof protection of our GORE-TEX Pinnacle Gloves. These are the perfect gloves to wear when gripping a snow shovel or ice ax, or for any number of wintertime activities. The top-grade deerskin leather palms match the superior durability of work gloves, yet remain soft and flexible, even in subzero temperatures. The waterproof, breathable GORE-TEX membranes, keep heat-robbing moisture out of the glove’s interior. The 150-gram Thinsulate™ Supreme Insulation has even more loft than the original for incredible warmth without affecting the breathability of the GORE-TEX linings. Imported.
Sizes: S-2XL.
Colors: Black/Tan, Black/Black.
Netdewt

Post by Netdewt »

Ice climbing gloves sound like they would hit the spot. I will have to think hard about $90 though!

The Cabela's ones look nice, but maybe a little bulky?

Dakine Cobra are the ones I was considering from my own research. I'm not sure if they are a trim as they look, though. It's hard without trying them on. Maybe I can get to REI or MM before this weekend.
http://www.rei.com/product/838882/dakine-cobra-gloves
davepark

Post by davepark »

I've been using Cabela's Dry-Plus® Super Slam Elite™ Fleece II Gloves They are relatively cheap and do a good job of keeping my hands warm while I am active. Once you quit kiting and just stand around, your fingers will get cold once the temps get 20 or below.
JRN

Post by JRN »

Clearance rack ski gloves for $5/Pr. @ Menards. Cost makes 'em disposable, and in my case lose-able. Pam found mittens, that fold open to reveal fingerless gloves inside. Great for rigging lines while saving fingers.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
henjj

Post by henjj »

Get some Leather Lined Kinco gloves like these: http://www.kinco.com/products.html?page ... egory_id=4. Coat them with some Snow Seal. Cheaper than spending $80 to $90 on some gore-tex gloves. You won't be dissapointed.
Netdewt

Post by Netdewt »

http://www.kombisnow.com/gloves-and-mit ... all/adroit

Hoigaards has these for $45. They were the best they had there I thought as far as dexterity and apparent insulation. I can't find any reviews though.
Netdewt

Post by Netdewt »

I went with Black Diamond Arc at MM on clearance for $35. They are a much lighter glove than the Punisher, I would imagine. My first thought was that they are too light, but reviews said they are great for below freezing temps if you are active. I shoveled some neglected snow on my driveway with them early this morning and I thought they were pretty great. I can tie my shoe laces with them, so that's about all I could ask for.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en ... /arc-glove