STOKE!!!!

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Tighe

STOKE!!!!

Post by Tighe »

The power of Belief!!!!
Weather is shaping up for a great weekend for the 9th Annual Mille Lacs Crossing. Saturday looks warm and sunny, with a chance of riding. Great to hang out, swap gear, swap stories, build some kickers, meet people from around the area and beyond. Sunday looks rocking! Wind forcasts in the high teens gusting into the mid to high twenties.

Looking forward to a weekend out of town.

ride on
Tighe
Matt V

Re: STOKE!!!!

Post by Matt V »

Got up here last night (Thursday) at around 4:30pm. Used the inflator to partially fill up my closed cell foil, a 15m HQ Matrixx, as kind of a joke. It took about 15 tries to keep the kite in the air while I put the board on even though I have Flows. Once I got locked in, I was able to ride up wind with no problem. Was only blowing around 1-2mph on the surface but was a nice 7mph up at the top of the window. Some of the gusts had to be at least 9mph. No jumping but still a nice surprise. Later in the night, the wind started howling I would guess 12-18mph for an hour at a time, then it would die. This happened several times between 8pm and 7am. I really do not think that was in the forecast but the wind up here never is, or so I have been told.

The snow is nicely bonded to the ice at a minimum of 3 inches thick on the windblown areas. This makes for a fast ride in light winds and is very easy to get upwind in. The 8 inch deep snow spots were too much to get through in the light winds last night. Closer to shore there are lots of natural drifts that will make nice 1ft kickers. I only kited within about 60meters of my truck so I would not rely on my condition assessment as a wide representation.

Mille Looks good but Watertown, SD is looking better for late Sunday and through next week with an additional coating of 3" of powder.
MK

Re: STOKE!!!!

Post by MK »

Wonderful to see so many at the Harbor Inn in Garrison last night. Today looks to be the best day to socialize and get caught up on gear and tech talk. If you can make it up we'll have a congregation of quite a few people welcoming you.

Sunday is looking like really nice winds:) We are diong the racers meeting at 9:30am in the organizers tent on the ice then shooting to start the race at 10:30am, roughly 16 miles. Lots of free riding and spectating happening too. Hope you can join us!