ML Loop

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Barry P

ML Loop

Post by Barry P »

Should I confess to this or not? With a whole day off in my hands yesterday because of "President's Day", solid wind, reasonable temps, and everyone at home needing to work... what's a guy to do? I promised Sweetie Pie I'd be careful. I've been itching to kite far for a long time.

I started from the first entrance at the SW corner and figured a run to to Hunter's would be good enough to satisfy. By the time I was lined up with Big Point the wind was really cooperative and the sky was still looking good, so I decided to shoot for Agate Bay. Soon I decided to just do the whole thing and not stop until Malmo.

I was kiting with iPhone (I used a great little App called Dixtance for tracking) next to a heat pack in my pocket, a backpack with an extra coat, some food, map, extra compass, and hiking Sorrels in case I had a break down. The snow was great, pressure ridges were rare and only minimal obstacles. All along the way up I was kiting through lots of fish houses, many with trucks outside which felt very secure as an additional way to deal with break downs. Connecting the dots through the fishing communities, checking with Dixtance along the way, I made my way up to Malmo and stopped for a rest.

Contemplating my return on tired legs, I wanted to try to skirt outside of the fishing areas and avoid obstacles like plowed heaps along roads and random ice debris I had dealt with coming up. I also liked the plan of making sure I stay upwind of my goal for margin so I set out on a more westerly tack than my run up and when out past all the houses.

Ahhhhhh.... nice. Totally smooth running for miles and miles. Not a single obstacle, no chunks of random junk to kick a ski out to the side and risk a bad fall.

Before long not a single house could be seen in any direction. All I had was the distant shore line and the wind to judge my tack by. I was tacking a bit high but it really didn't feel like it. What island is that ahead? It has trees. I'm not very familiar with the west shore... or is that the south shore I'm seeing? I pulled over and tried Dixtance again. I wish I could just have this thing strapped on my arm. Yikes! I was way high: time to take a hard left and ride down wind. As I came down I went through several fields of thin shattered ice. I think downwind is harder than any other tack and I had to be careful through the ice. Now my legs were really complaining, sometimes I'd have to take them on a nice reach to rest them before another downwind leg.

Pretty soon my car was in sight. 38.1 miles, 2 hours 45 minutes. Mille Lacs got a little bit smaller for me, but it is still not a lake to be trifled with.
Attachments
Mille Lacs Loop.jpg
Mille Lacs Loop.jpg (245.55 KiB) Viewed 3123 times
davepark

Re: ML Loop

Post by davepark »

I feel so inadequate knowing I only put on 18 miles while kiting Tonka on Monday. But add 26 miles from Sunday and it wasn’t a bad weekend. I would prefer to make a trek like yours with another kiter, but could see going it alone for an adventure. Someday I would like to cross Lake of the Woods.
Cory M

Post by Cory M »

Impressive journey!
Futahaguro

Post by Futahaguro »

And to think I tried on Monday as well on Tonka, wrapped a wingtip, complained about the gusts and went home. I feel inadequate:)
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Nicely done! Sounds like you took all the right precautions, and took it all in. Sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing your story.
Tighe
JRN

Post by JRN »

U d' MAN, Barry! My legs are noodles after about 15 minutes. Guess I'll have to reconsider my Beer & Naps winter training regimen. Maybe two beers between naps would increase my endurance. I'll keep you posted. :?
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})