Gathering at the Island on Saturday

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Tighe

Gathering at the Island on Saturday

Post by Tighe »

Saturday looks great for wind...and we have snow! Might be a great time for a gathering at kite island on Minnetonka. This is not an event just a time to gather, ride, and hang out. It sounds like a few others were having similar thoughts.

Lets get some grills going,nothing like warm food on the lake after a ride. Always good to have a lawn chair...who knows maybe the sun will join us.

Bring friends, it might be a great day to check out snow kiting. Throw in a trainer if you have it. Always fun to give someone that first feel of a kite.

Ride on
Tighe
Lloyd K

Re: Gathering at the Island on Saturday

Post by Lloyd K »

Looks like a good day, I'll be there.
davepark

Post by davepark »

I'll be there with the Ice Man. Looks like they were getting set up for the Chiily Open last night. With all of those people out there, one would think the chance for a big foot sighting would be pretty high.
davepark

Post by davepark »

I should have mentioned that I will be bringing my small Weber grill for those that may want to cook up their meat.
magicninja

Post by magicninja »

Whats the best way to get out to the island? Looking at dnr access maps the closest public access is wayzata bay? Is there a easier way out there? looking forward to a rippin' day.
davepark

Post by davepark »

Access at Wayzata beach is the easiest. It's located on the west end of the downtown area.
MSavage

Post by MSavage »

There is a pressure ridge cutting straight through kite island to the main land in both directions- north and south..heading to browns bay to get on the other side.
KitingKen

Post by KitingKen »

That was a good time today! First time I've made it out to Kite Island. Thanks to whoever it was that stopped by to untangle my lines and launch my kite by the beach. And to whoever it was that yelled out to pump the center lines to get the kite up. While my 7M was the right choice to learn on, I was envious at how fast the 12M kites were moving. Time to upgrade!

I took a quick vid with my cell phone and caught whoever waved going by flying a red, white and black kite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj_eRWCONEI

Ken
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

yeah what a great day. So many smiles and people I haven't seen in so long. Never enough time to catch up...specially when the wind is blowing.

George is my hero of the day. When I was launching my kite for the first time my chicken loop fell off and my kite took off downwind...heading for the Chili Open. I tried running to catch it but was loosing... it was moving faster than I. Out of nowhere George streamed by me and nabbed my bar. Thanks mon.

When I got up to the cloudy forcast I was a tinge disappointed but found I really enjoyed the palette of the day, the mutted hues of the land, slowly fading to a bluish tinge in the distance. The bright white snow and the grey above, and vibrant colors of the kites filling the sky. The odd assortment of ice houses dotting the lake. Out on that big lake found numerous spots to carve for what seemed like miles without seeing another track, yet at the same time felt the great energy of everyone out there, stoked in their own ride.

thank you thank you thank you.
Attachments
IMG_7082.jpg
IMG_7082.jpg (763.03 KiB) Viewed 5387 times
IMG_7075.jpg
IMG_7075.jpg (890.86 KiB) Viewed 5387 times
IMG_7070.jpg
IMG_7070.jpg (904.56 KiB) Viewed 5387 times
IMG_7060.jpg
IMG_7060.jpg (934.56 KiB) Viewed 5387 times
Tighe
Futahaguro

Post by Futahaguro »

Nice video and great pictures! Who's doggie is that? Very cute! It looks like a Norwegian Elkhound mix? Or maybe pure Elkhound?

Too bad I missed it! I had my boardercross race yesterday. That looks like it was a lot of fun.
magicninja

Post by magicninja »

Great time. Good food, good beer, good vibes. Glad I could help Tighe. Tomorrow's looking pretty tasty. Hopefully catch a sesh at WBL. -George
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Yes tomorrow is looking good. Undecided where to go. should have a lot of options.
Tighe
davepark

Post by davepark »

Proof that Big Foot exists. This video was shot by the Ice Man on Saturday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HJZqhkf5IQ