Water skiing on Calhoun

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Tighe

Water skiing on Calhoun

Post by Tighe »

I hope to get out by about 1:00. Hopefully it will not be too much like waterskiing.

How's the surface for skates?
Tighe
Peter C

Post by Peter C »

The Ice has been pretty good, just watchout for all the fish holes. Tom and I are heading out at 9:30 before it gets too soft. We are rigging at Thomas beach. Hope to see you there.

Pete
Jeff A

Post by Jeff A »

It sure was wet out there! :shock: But the wind and temps were great! 8) Steve J, Scott I, and I were out on boards with windsurfing rigs, while Tighe and ? were kiting. I was doing lots of 360's and monkey jibes while spraying lots of water :twisted: if anyone got close. Tried a few backwinded 360's ... made a few, missed a few... but boy do you get soaked fast when you miss it and go sliding across the ice/water! :oops: Had to leave at 3pm for a meeting ... be back tomorrow?
PS. Does anyone know what is considered a truck for parking at Calhoun.
I got a ticket for "truck on parkway" while I was sailing. This vehicle (van chassie cube van) isn't any longer than my extended length van was and stilll fits between the white lines... what's the problem?
Anyway it was great to get out and sail.
Jeff A
Denis

Post by Denis »

Yeah, Calhoun was real pool. Being new to the whole kiting thing, I did quite a bit of belly sliding and spent the rest of the afternoon with half of the lake in my clothes. Had a great time though. Sunny with good temps and I am just learning to jump. (Thanks for the tips, Tighe!) Since I am not very familiar with protocols, right of way and such you guys should feel free to drop me a line if my kite or lines get in your way on the lake.

Denis
SteveJ

Post by SteveJ »

It was a great day with enough wind to get you moving and warm and wet enough to feel like open water sailing. Sailed past sunset. Just could not get enough. Check out the Star Tribune tomorrow. They may have some pictures.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Yeah Jeff you were stylin with those huge 360s. It seemed like the rig for today's conditions.

Good to see you out Denis. The main thing to remember wrt right of way is that starboard (right hand forward) has right of way. If you are approaching someone and you have right of way though don't think you can point that high, communicate via hand signals or by a motion downwind that you give it over.

As you've done. Keeping the dialog open is the best way.
Tighe