Sat night kiting

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

reutersju

Sat night kiting

Post by reutersju »

Looks like there is some solid wind coming through on sat night, who is game for a night session!
davepark

Re: Sat night kiting

Post by davepark »

Kite Island on Tonka?
MK

Post by MK »

I'm in
davepark

Post by davepark »

Don't forget your headlights! Last time I was out there at night several of us were "lit" up and several were not. Definitely easier to see and avoid the riders with lights.
reutersju

Post by reutersju »

I have never been night kiting and also never been to kite island! What do you guys wear for lights, a camping head lamp? Do you have lights on your kite? Looks like the wind will pick up around 9pm, want to meet around then?

Cheers,
Good Chad
davepark

Post by davepark »

I have a camping headlight on the front of the helmet and a blinking red light on the back. The way I look at it is that you can't be on the unfrozen water at night without lights so I should be doing the same in the winter. I also have lights strapped to the struts on the inside of the kite (hat tip to Iceman for the idea) that give the kite a very cool "alien" look. There are tons of other ideas for lights on the kite. Just go to Amazon and search on LED Lights in the sports and outdoor section.
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

I got some light weight LED blinky lights at Axe Man. Cheap. Perfect. Love that store.
torisspacedog

Post by torisspacedog »

I second Barry's AX Man thought dirt cheap and all kinds of do-dads. Maybe see some of you at the island then.
magicninja

Post by magicninja »

Looks like the forecasts have pushed the wind back till around 1-2 a.m. Any diehards still thinking about a night sesh? I'd be down but dont want to be on a unfamiliar lake at night alone.
torisspacedog

Post by torisspacedog »

I'll still do it . What wind thing do you watch?
davepark

Post by davepark »

NOAA site shows wind picking up a little around 7:00 I still plan on going out. I'll be sitting in my Blue Silverado waiting for the wind.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... =graphical

iKitesurf isn't looking quite as good.....

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... =graphical
reutersju

Post by reutersju »

I'm starting to think that dawn patrol looks like a better option.
MK

Post by MK »

me too. especially after this story: http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/02/0 ... grays-bay/

Dawn patrol... Who's bringing donuts and coffee?
torisspacedog

Post by torisspacedog »

I got Girl Scout cookies I can bring. I will try and make it out there. Looks like it's hockey for tonight. Later ML.
davepark

Post by davepark »

I went out only because the wife had a houseful of cackling hens. No wind but a nice snowfall. We'll see what the morning brings.....
MK

Post by MK »

I was teetering with one last thought of curiosity to join. I looked out and see the snow is falling pretty much straight down.

Last time my wife filled the house with women (enter Wayne's World dream mode): http://www.lakawa.com/lakawa-chat-f1/sn ... 10022.html