Tonka Sun.

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Cory M

Tonka Sun.

Post by Cory M »

Anybody have intel on which bays froze the smoothest for skates? Thinking of crescent beach or deephaven.

Thanks!
JRN

Re: Tonka Sun.

Post by JRN »

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!! :x
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Cory M

Post by Cory M »

Witches titty cold! Surface near crescent beach was pretty good. Not black ice by any means but plenty of smooth spots to get a nice clean transition.

One other wind enthusiast in an ice boat. Amazing how those go almost straight up wind with what looks like little effort.
Attachments
KiteSkate 13Jan13.jpg
KiteSkate 13Jan13.jpg (126.36 KiB) Viewed 5284 times
KitingKen

Post by KitingKen »

I launched with kite on Phelps Bay from my inlaw's house. I could see an ice boat over your way zipping up and down the bay, I didn't see a kite but the island was blocking most my view. I was attempting to get over there but never made it due to fish houses in my path and a little more wind blocked over in Phelps. There was another ice boat on the other side of the bridge from me that was haulin a**. Man are those things quick, and it sounded like thunder hitting the ice bumps. Fun stuff! :shock:
MK

Post by MK »

The iceboaters were out on WBL too, rip'n it. Great conditions for skates and switchblade attachments until the snow dumps again:)
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

switchblade attachments
Who sells these?
Futahaguro

Post by Futahaguro »

jyetley

Post by jyetley »

Cory, How did you get that Gps track to overlay the satellite image? What app are you using and is there much to due to get the image you have above.

I have recently been using an Android app called Speedview, but I haven't yet figured out how to export the gpx file. Who else knows a thing or two about using gps tracking? Please share your experience.

I've recently had three days out on the ice using a Switchblade. It's a blast to go for max speed and have a running milage log. Ideally I'd like a realtime speedometer in clear view. I've got the speedometer working (44mph max, 75mile session), but I haven't gotten an easy viewing mount yet. Anyone else using gps tracking?
Paul F

Post by Paul F »

jyetley wrote:I have recently been using an Android app called Speedview, but I haven't yet figured out how to export the gpx file. Who else knows a thing or two about using gps tracking? Please share your experience.
I have been using the "My Tracks" Android app. It can save to GPX, KML etc. It also shares to Google Maps and I shared a track of the mountain bike ride I did to South Mountain Park in Phoenix a couple of weeks ago.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&m ... 480d038a7a
jyetley

Post by jyetley »

Thanks Paul! Mytracks is a much better app.

Hopefully the winds will take a break. This was my 4th day in a row!
Cory M

Post by Cory M »

There was some good discussion on this site that you can probably still search which lead me to http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/. You can import gpx files and export in a variety of ways. I like google earth and then export a jpeg. The condition of the ice has limited my speed on skates but I still have a good time. Post one of those switchblade sessions when you get a chance!
Futahaguro

Post by Futahaguro »

I use Locus Pro for Android. I have used Maverick Pro, Endomodo (or whatever), but I like Locus Pro the best. It combines the files into a .zip file so that is a little annoying when you want to open the file in a different program but the software works great for me. I can then post to GPSies or Breadcrumbs on the internet if I want to share the tracks. I find Locus Pro has better end-of-tracking stats like avg. speed, max speed, distance, etc.. There is a free version you can try as well.

However, I was out on Monday with my phone in the outside jacket pocket and I lost almost ALL of my battery in 1 hour. And that was without the tracking on! Batteries don't like -5 temps:)