Swede Lake & blade toyz?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Professor Robae'

Swede Lake & blade toyz?

Post by Professor Robae' »

Is ice nice? Anyone check?
JERRY

Re: Swede Lake & blade toyz?

Post by JERRY »

hey Rob. aren't you going to Lake Cristina in Alex. for the DN iceboating :?: I think Lake Washington will be ready for blades this weekend. Others should be ready also. Don't ride alone and be safe. The ice looks excellant. :)
"The Pessimist complains about the wind; the optomist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." William Arther Ward
Professor Robae'

Hey Jerry! My travel range has been greatly curtailed - too much going on. All the ponds/ small lakes around here look good too but are still thin. Use caution!
Last edited by Professor Robae' on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiteboymn

Post by kiteboymn »

http://www.iceboating.net/

The Ice Boat Regatta is in Alex this weekend. Went last year and had a blast. Todd and I will most likely go. Round Lake in Nisswa froze only on Tuesday and it looks a little rough...
Mrs. Kiteboy
Live Hard!
Lakawa Shop Rider
http://mnkiteboy.com/
Pat Heppert

Post by Pat Heppert »

Anybody going out a little closer to the twin cities this weekend? There should be many smaller ponds/lakes that are safe, but I have not had time to scout. Are there any confirmed reports of safe ice locally??
davepark

Post by davepark »

Yikes. “Safe” ice in November in Minnesota especially in the twin cities? There may be ice that someone has gone out on and not fallen through, but safe would be a stretch. Plus the weather is warming up. I’m definitely not trying to be a downer but just remember to be careful if you are venturing out.
Professor Robae'

CornBoy just called me from the ice on Swede. He walked out over 200' and said it 'appeared' to be solid and thick enough, jumped up and down and then it made some 'noise'. Tested thickness in several spots and said it varied between 2.5" & 3". Said it was smooth and very nice. Several of the West side Boyz are going to try and make it out there sometime this weekend. Not sure when yet.

Remember: This is certainly no guarantee of safety. In fact, the ice thickness and warm temps coming put this right at the edge. If you go; wear a Dry Suit and or life jacket, carry a rope and go with a buddy. All people should carry ice picks around your necks.

Scout your sailing area first on foot or skates with hockey stick. Stay safe!
Last edited by Professor Robae' on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MK

Post by MK »

If you can add a little drive time north it looks like your safety odds improve. The Four Lakes Yacht Club group on Facebook is posting live updates of Lake Christina Regatta in Ashby, MN. They are their now and show pics/video of conditions in Facebook. They are forging forward with reports and enthusiasm. Some details at http://www.iceboating.net

Snow pack current readings:
http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/snow_model/i ... idwest.jpg
MK

Post by MK »

Here's a link to the Facebook live updates taking place on Lake Christina: https://www.facebook.com/groups/328443737171874/
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Sweet. Maybe I'll head to the iceboat event! That could be fun!

I heard on the fishingminnesota website that north long lake bay has 3-4 inches and a few people have been out fishing. But be another good option.
Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map
Pat Heppert

Post by Pat Heppert »

I'll be at Swede lake at 10 AM on Saturday. Any ice that is there probably won't be safe after Saturday afternoon. My minimum is 3" of clear ice, otherwise will have to wait a week. I just need a small little shore area to start to play with new freeskate board.
MK

Post by MK »

This looks nice
image.jpg
image.jpg (118.42 KiB) Viewed 10792 times
JERRY

Post by JERRY »

Oooo that does look nice. Will there be wind :?:
"The Pessimist complains about the wind; the optomist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." William Arther Ward
Pat Heppert

Post by Pat Heppert »

I was just at the public access on swede lake, and couldn't walk out more than about 50 feet. The ice i measured was about 2 - 2.5" thick, with water on top, and was very soft. I also saw that people have been "scientifically" checking the ice with rocks, which really irritates me. On the way here, all the small ponds aren't even safe. With warm temps, we will have to wait two weeks for local ice.
JERRY

Post by JERRY »

Thanks Pat. Checking Washington in 5 min.
peterrib

Post by peterrib »

Ice turned soft on Ripley with water on top. Chisel went through on 2nd drop.
Might be back on the water by Mon. :roll:
Peter
JERRY

Post by JERRY »

Washington has 2 1/2" ice with 1/4" of water on top. Good wind here. Peter is coming out. Rigging4.5m for FreeSkate. :)
BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

SOB! I was just heading out to Swede and decided to check here first. Thanks for the report Pat! So, in my truck right now I have: hockey skates, 2 pairs of off road Rollerblades, 2 pairs of skis, 4 kites, a windsurfing rig, 2 skateboards, and beer. It looks like beer it is. If the wind picks up at all I'm heading over to Flying Cloud Fields. They removed all the soccer goals last week. If you have never tried Rollerblade Coyote's with a kite your missing out. Great for two planker wankers and hockey blokes like myself. There isn't the edge hold of skis but you can still boost and carving through transitions is effortless.