Drysuit repair

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Jason_L

Drysuit repair

Post by Jason_L »

I ripped my wrist cuff yesterday when taking off drysuit. From the opening up, about 1 1/2 inch tear! Can I glue on a patch of latex with AquaSeal or do i need to replace the whole gasket? The material is not brittle or anything it just ripped when I was pulling it over my hand. Please let me know if anyone has done this kind of repair before. Thanks.
JRN

Re: Drysuit repair

Post by JRN »

I HAVE REPLACED CUFFS, by stretching the replacement cuff over a 1 liter pop bottle, coating the attachment area with aqua seal, then stretching the sleeve over that, and finally wrapping the seam with masking tape to apply additional pressure externally. Hope that helps. Good Luck!
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Jason_L

Post by Jason_L »

so you just glued the new seal over the old seal. I think you can heat and remove the old glue and seal but I would probably rather have a professional do that. I'm hoping to repair the seal temporarily until the season is over and then send it in. Thanks.
Terry Dunklee

Post by Terry Dunklee »

Jason--- I've replaced cuffs and neck gaskets like Jim recommended. It's fairly easy to do and will last for years. Midwest mountaineering or the House should have a new set of cuffs. They come in several sizes so try them before you leave the store.

First cut off the old gasket where the sleeve material meets the gasket leaving a ring of old cuff gasket of 1-2 inches on the bottom of the sleeve. Place the liter pop bottle ( or appropriate sized soup can that fits snug) half way into the sleeve. Fold the upper end of the new gasket back onto itself the same distance as the width of the band of old gasket remaining on the sleeve. Stretch folded upper end of the new gasket enough to slide it onto the can until the folded edge abuts the cut end of the old gasket. Coat the entire ring of the old gasket with aquaseal and then roll the folded portion of the new cuff up and over the old. The stretching of the new cuff should put enough tension on it to hold it in place but you could also tape it like Jim recommended. Let it dry for 48 hours and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps and you're back in the water soon.

Terry
Jason_L

Post by Jason_L »

I'll try that. Sounds a lot easier than trying to remove the whole gasket. Thanks