driving to south padre island for thanksgiving week

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

jerryliu

driving to south padre island for thanksgiving week

Post by jerryliu »

I'm thinking about leave friday(11/16/2012) evening, with none stop driving we should get there by saturday evening. I have a minivan, 4 people will be comfortable, 2 sit-in front for driving, 2 lay-down on back for rest. we camp in state park for whole week. so the total cost for each person should be less than $400(gas+food).

contact me by email or facebook if you are interested in.

email: jerryebay@hotmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/jerry.y.liu

Jerry
Eric S

Re: driving to south padre island for thanksgiving week

Post by Eric S »

Go Jerry!

Sorry to post so many posts but I thought this might be helpful:

When you cross the Texas boarder from Minnesota you are only about half way there.

But then there's nothing like screaming out "We're in Texas!!!"

Good sailing and kiting to you and your friends.

-eric
jerryliu

Post by jerryliu »

there is the beach that I want to camp on:

Malaquite beach:
http://www.nps.gov/pais/planyourvisit/m ... ground.htm

Ocean front, wake up and play everyday.

Jerry
MK

Post by MK »

Wahoo! I'll have a group down there until the 19th. See you there!
rookie

Post by rookie »

I Dont think you can kite there. Windsurfing is ok. Some kiter died there years ago, so they banned kites.
maybe Ill see ya in padre!
Dave Z

Post by Dave Z »

Malaquite is North Padre Island. I know kiting is prohibited on the Laguna Madre within the Park (i.e. Bird Island Basin) but I'm not sure about Ocean side. I would call the ranger station there to verify. Lots of kiting options since you're in the Corpus Christi area. Check out http://www.kiteboarding.com/where-to-ride.asp or give those guys a call.

The kiter fatality (Peter Nordby) occurred in 2002 (pre-bow/SLE kites) at Packery Channel which is outside of the park so I don't think the ban IN the park was a result of the accident.

Corpus is a fun area with tons of kiteable areas and terrain - I usually tend to sneak in a day trip when I'm in Austin, TX visiting my parents.

Otherwise you can always drive another 3 hours down to South Padre and hang with the crew.
TV

Post by TV »

Camping at Mustang Island State Park is probably better for kiters, which is near the Packery channel and closer to town. There's tent camping along the dunes, but that can flood. They also have other camping options on higher ground. Hot showers too.
Tim
rookie

Post by rookie »