Wind forecasting gurus: what do you think about Sat. & Sun.?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Prof Marc

Wind forecasting gurus: what do you think about Sat. & Sun.?

Post by Prof Marc »

Kevin and other wind gurus,

Looks like some kiteable weather this weekend. Looks like wind might be stronger down south, say at Clear Lake. Thoughts?

--Marc
jyetley

Re: Wind forecasting gurus: what do you think about Sat. & S

Post by jyetley »

I'm no guru, but Clear Lake doesn't very look good until Monday. (although the locals down there can't be beat) Iwindsurf and Windalert both show Saturday and Sunday winds being better at Lake Cannon. Another hidden gem is Lake Okamanpeedan just south of Fairmont. Shallow, flat water and a good rigging area along the northside. (just avoid the private beach without getting permission) I'll be there on Saturday if I dare to go that far south) Then back to Cannon on Sunday, if the current forcast holds. Waseca is other option, but she also has a challenging launch similar to Clear Lake and Cannon.

PS I had a killer session last Tuesday at a new location on Lake Pepin, but winds won't be as strong on the river this coming weekend.
djmadmike

Post by djmadmike »

I second the predictions here. Mille anyone Sat or Sun perhaps?

Mike N
Mike T. Nelson MS
PhD(c) Exercise Physiology U of MN
http://www.MikeTNelson.com
Athletic Performance and Physique Transformation
Kevinousdigian

Post by Kevinousdigian »

I agree on Sat winds look strongest at Cannon over to Spirit Lake (ie tight isobars going SW to NE) over Southern part of state. We'll get some nice warm kiteable wind in twin cities from S going SSW. I would not drive to Clear or Mille Lacs tomorrow when there is better more reliable wind closer. There aren't tight isobars at ML so it's a crapshoot when it's 85, sunny, and 65 degree water (ie cold water will push air up higher). I live closer to WB so I'm hoping to hit White Bear tomorrow afternoon. On S or SSW you just need to go past the reef to get to the good wind and it can be steady unless it's a gusty day in general in which case Wac or WB will be gusty. I think others are predicting SW wind, if I'm wrong and it is SW then WB is not great for kiting as you need to hit Rutherford which I think is overgrown. Wac will be a real nice option too but probably not as windy as cannon.

Sunday looks like the wind line inches south but they'll still be plenty down at Cannon.

All week the 10 day MRF has showed several strong cold blows next week. I think Father Hennepin will be nice but cold 10m conditions on Monday with wind from NNW going NW. Would love to go if others are - they haven't put fences up yet and don't plan to until later Oct. Wednesday more cold West wind and more cold wind later into the week, real cold compared to this great 85 degree weekend on tap.

KO
Kevin Ousdigian