Baa, Baa, Black Sheep

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Eric S

Baa, Baa, Black Sheep

Post by Eric S »

What are you guys riding for boards these days?

I just got a Starboard Avanti SUP and it's fun as heck. Like three bags full of heck!

I got fat, old and tired. Two of those three I do have a bit of control over and I'm working on them.

How goes it with you?

-eric spottke
JERRY

Re: Baa, Baa, Black Sheep

Post by JERRY »

ERIC IS BACK :!: :D
"The Pessimist complains about the wind; the optomist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." William Arther Ward
JRN

Post by JRN »

I TRIED RIDING A STARBOARD FREESEX THAT I BOUGHT FROM THIS DUDE AT THE SWAP!! Later,
I was the proud 2nd owner of a big, green Toro 16. I DO remember, "Big Pink, " but I'm still trying to remember the, name........
But seriously, nice to see you still have great taste in gear & to post along with two of the 1st people that got me into kiting, way back then. I'm not sure you'd recognize either of us, OR EVEN PETE.
But we're still out there hitting it, along with LOTS of new kiters. It's not like the days when you knew EVERYONE on the water, anymore. Keep in touch...Alot of us are still around. Jim N.
Last edited by JRN on Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Eric, oh my gosh, where you been brother? You were such a core stoke generator in the early days of kiteboarding. Hope we get a chance to share some aqua soon.

Hope all is well
Tighe
gmhokenson

Post by gmhokenson »

Out with a friend last night on our stand ups. Something fun to do when their isn't enough wind, good exercise, and a good way to end a nice day. Gene
Pete

Post by Pete »

Spottke...he lives!
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Heya,

I'm trying to get out on Pulaski every morning before work. We're talking EARLY - best time to paddle until I get my feet under me for catching mushy, slush slop up at Vojta's secret spot. I should probably paddle up to Rob H's place and tackle him as he heads to his car for work. That's a long paddle tho. Don't worry Rob, might be sept. before I can do this :)

Jerry, Nice to hear from you. I miss funhogging with you. You are the irresistible force, I am the immovable object.

Jim, I thought I sold that FREESex (Free Style Expression) to a girl. It was a great board. Green Toro, yep, that thing pulled downwind like it's name sake. Too bad it didn't come with a whip so you could tame it from you board. and Big Pink... Still have my posting for selling that beast. I'm sorry and I owe you 1 breakfast at iHOP - print this message out to redeem it.

http://downhaul.com/misc/020301

Tighe, Keeper and Stoker of the flame. Remember that one time when your van caught on fire... Just kidding! Not sure where the kiters would be with out a "Tighe". He's like an archangel or something. Stoke to spare and he doesn't mind giving it away.

I remember this one session at Ramsey... http://downhaul.com/kites/001215/

If I remember right, all of us got blown off the lake. Mike W, Tighe and myself. That was the most fun I've ever had being scared.

Pete, You are fearless and have awsome karma. Whatever sport Pete does, he does it right. Pete is all about compasion, the TRUTH and WIN.

However, I did do a photo shop of him one day, many years ago, when we were tearing up Byllesby:

See you on the water,

-eric
Mike W

Post by Mike W »

Welcome back, Eric! We missed your smiling face and good cheer. My wife still rides your Starboard Go once in a while, although not this summer so far as she gave birth to our 4th in May. Can't wait to run into you. I still manage to get out almost every rideable day.
RobH

Post by RobH »

Yo Eric,
Ypu must come by, Im on the Sup almost every day. If you havnt Paddled back into Little Pulaski your missing out. Swing on over and Ill give you the tour. Always see tons of fish in the morning, typically catch a turtle or two. Im not working for thte next 4 days so expect to see you soon. Swing by anytime!!!
Rob Hyland
Cabrinha Shop Rider / Lakawa Team Rider
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

Wow!! I'm smiling. Great to hear you're still out there fun hogging. Maybe our wakes will cross again.
davec

Post by davec »

No Way! I was just talking to somebody about the good old days out shredding Green Lake on windurfers with you, Jerry, Jeff G, and Chris B, and how we never go out there any more. Now your back! Yeah Buddy
Pete

Post by Pete »

Ya Eric, I'm still puffin on the cigs but gave up the weed about a month ago. It was starting to mess with my appearance! :shock:

JRN

Post by JRN »

MORE BIG PINK MEMORIES: I actually bought it from Mike Bares, who said he got it from you after a Gorge trip. Jerry said he tackled it once, after it got off the leash. Too bad he didn't let it blow away. I tried to soup it up by modding the bridles, but had to put it all back to fly right. I traded it to "Wild Bill" who kites out around Prior Lake, but haven't heard from him in years. I did have alot of fun with it out on D'Bear in winter. It would fly in just a puff, but became unmanagable when it picked up. It DID earn me alot of "guilt beers" from Mike B. though, since he felt bad for actually charging money for it. I traded it for a snowboard that I sold to a Canadian with a switchblade attached. So, it is the fodder for alot of stories while B.S.-ing around the fire. We have all speculated what became of you. How about stopping by the "Gathering" this weekend to enlighten us? I'll tell you about the fate of the big green toro 16. :roll:
Last edited by JRN on Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

Admiral Spotke! Good to here from you again!
scottchapman

Post by scottchapman »

Hey Eric,
Poof you were gone and abracadabra your back. Maybe rob will let you shuffle at buffalo.
Hope to see ya soon.
Professor Robae'

Post by Professor Robae' »

Admiral Spotke!!! Where ya been the last decade? The Admiral & I actually went to high school together - seems like yeasterday :? hmm, maybe not. Hope to see you at Waconia!

Sweet pic Pete!
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Eric! ( and all the other posters too!).

Good to see you (Eric) posting again and to see you're on the water.

Want to see some SUP freestyle!

Chris
djmadmike

Post by djmadmike »

Welcome back man! I have to thank you for getting me into kiting, er the first time was more like kite dragging at the field by Rob's. Rob was so happy to send the kite back up in the air after I kept crashing it. He was muttering something about a broken rib or some other BS excuse....hahah. :shock:

Old school land sailing was a blast too. I found out fast to wear long sleeves since you don't have to pick as much gravel out when you get laid out on a parking lot. Not that I know anything about that.

Rob-man, you SUP now? Sweet!

rock on
Mike N
Mike T. Nelson MS
PhD(c) Exercise Physiology U of MN
http://www.MikeTNelson.com
Athletic Performance and Physique Transformation
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

Wow. I finally got BIG PINK out of my memory and then you post a link to the kite. :cry: That brought back some memories. Mostly of driving to pick up Jim on the downwind side of the lake. I think you owe me some of the guilt beers that I have been buying for Jim. The Kite Surfer Aqua 9 foil. That was a HUGE kite back in those days. And now we are flying foils and LEIs that are twice that big. Thank goodness for the advances in depower and safety systems. It's amazing that we survived the early days. Welcome back! 8)
Midwest Mountaineering/Ozone Team Rider
Chris Lock

Post by Chris Lock »

*Gasp* No way! Dude, where'd ja go? For years I searched the obituaries in vain before writing you off as yet another victim of domestic life.

Meanwhile, rumors regarding your whereabouts ran rampant. "I heard he moved to New Zealand and cornered the market on lambchops" and "Well, someone I know knows someone who swears they saw him barking at a travelling carnival out in Butte Montana" - were among but a few.

It was crazy really.

By the way, getting fat, old and tired is a great way to kick off a rejuvenating mid life crisis.
Let the festivities begin!!

Glad yer back man!!