Dakine Nitrous harness for kiting?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Bill S.

Dakine Nitrous harness for kiting?

Post by Bill S. »

I have been kiting for about 10 years, always with a Dakine Tabu waist harness. I'm due for a new harness and interested in the Dakine Nitrous shorts which many around here seem to enjoy. Any thoughts on differences between waist v. shorts harnesses for kiting? Thanks!

Bill
JRN

Re: Dakine Nitrous harness for kiting?

Post by JRN »

I USE BOTH, but there's little or no back support with the shorts. My spine seems to like changing it up by using different ones...High back, low, shorts, but my rib cage can't hack the waist harness. Make sure you get chafe guard undershorts to stay rash free.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

Seat Harness:
I got Nitrous Shorts a few years ago. Loved them because I can move and kite toe-side so much easier than I was able to in my Dakine Fusion seat harness. I only use the Fusion harness in the winter now. Yes... basically no back support and the waist band can wear on your skin so a rash guard is a must, but I love the increased range of motion it allows. It sort of feels like your not even wearing a harness.

A few guys around here are using a spreader bar (I think it's called a Dynabar) that allows the hook to slide side to side to increase range of motion. I think it may reduce back stress too. It looks like a good idea. Kevin O really likes his.

Waist Harness:
I've been using waist harnesses more and more because there is zero restriction to range of motion. My first waist harness bothered my back a bit. The next one I tried was better. This spring I picked up an "Air Styler" made by North. It has an air bladder for support in the small of the back you can adjust to get the exact feel you want. Hands down absolutely the most comfy harness I've ever used. Lycra on the inside, so it shouldn't be a problem for skin even without a rash guard - but it hasn't been warm enough to actually try it this way. And the extra float I get from the bladder is nice too.

I used to have more trouble with the waist harness working its way up than I seem to now. I think harnesses must be getting better. Now it seems that the time the waist harness is most likely to work its way up for me is if I'm falling off my board a lot. A lot of body dragging often results in pulling the harness up. Otherwise, not much trouble anymore.

I like having both on hand. If I am so blessed that I get several days of long sessions in a row (SPI?) it's nice to be able to switch between the two and let any sore spots heal.
johnz

Post by johnz »

Didn't Moondog have an issue with those shorts a few years back?

I don't want to spread nasty rumors if they aren't true - and it sounded very painful and in a very sensitive area.

Does anyone remember?
John Z
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
davepark

Post by davepark »

I have been wearing my wetsuit shorties under the harness shorts. Helps keep things out of the way of the straps that run through the swimsuit area if you catch my drift.
scottman

Post by scottman »

I have used the nitro shorts for 10 years due to the unwanted stress on the back with a waist harness, with the seat harness all of the pull is from the hips and not the lower back, but the waist harness also depends on your style of riding meaning if you ride with the kite always up around the 10, 11 and 12 o'clock position the waist harness has the want to rise up on you, if you fly the kite mostly around the 3, 4 or 5 o'clock position the waist harness will not ride up your waist as much if not at all.

The seat harness in the nitro short version can hinder the movement of the body due to the pull on the hips, it's easier to move around on a board with a waist harness for sure, the nitro shorts can even throw you off balance sometimes due to the lower point in which it pulls on your body. For me it was the nitro shorts just to save my back, if you do a lot of powerfull jumping you will like the nitro shorts, I still have the same pair I have had for the last 7 years before I stepped away from kiting, been thinking about getting back into it lately?

My 2 cents.
Dave Z

Post by Dave Z »

I have both. Nice to be able to switch back and forth. Prefer the waist though since I feel like I have more range/movement with my lower half. Boosting: bit different feel since you are being pulled up by your arse as opposed to your lower back. As far as issues with the shorts make sure your nuggets are out of the way before you cinch down those leg straps!
Reds

Post by Reds »

yes get a pair of neo shorts for under the nitrous. I do like mine. Lots of range of motion. I should try that spreader bar that moves to make toe side riding easier
Patrick