outside saftey lines

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

nutmeg

outside saftey lines

Post by nutmeg »

Anyone else have a 2009 kite / bar set up where the leash attach is on the outside of the bar - so when the bar spins the leash gets wrapped around the lines below the bar.

I just want to know if this statement is true:
Outside safety’s were used from 1998-2009 by most brands.

I've never seen one before - prior to buying my 2009 airrush - and having some issues with them - just wanted some insight from peeps that have been kiting for awhile!!

Thanks!
JRN

Re: outside saftey lines

Post by JRN »

MEG, Many of my early Best bars were that way. I found it was fairly easy to modify them so one of the front lines acted as the safety leash line and lessened the line wrap you're getting. Hope to be up at Reddy this w e, and can show you there if you're around. I finally started using SS bars with the thru the bar safety for that very reason. JRN
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Eric P

Post by Eric P »

Sure, this was a safety system, back in 2002! I would not clip into the outside lines for anything. If you release to a steering line, there is a very strong potential of the kite doing several lightly powered up loops before finally hitting the water, then, usually while you are swimming and trying to pull the line in, the kite tends to want to flip around and catch some wind, even if there is no tension on the other lines. I used to have this system on some old C-kites, and I can only imagine it would be even worse on bow type kites with bridles. You will never get back riding again after releasing to that system, not without straightening your lines on shore. Anyone who says that is still a valid safety system is selling you something.

You also nailed it on the head with the twisting problem. How are you supposed to progress if you can't even loop the kite and try rolls? All you can do with that safety is ride back and forth.

Get a modern bar, any bar. Slingshot makes them, liquid force makes them, best makes them, basically take your pick, but just make sure it has the ability to release all tension from the lines, except a single center line, and that this connection point is below the bar.
Eric
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

Below the bar safety attachments started to replace the old steering line attachment you are talking about back in 2005 or 2006.

I don't think anyone makes a bar anymore that you cannot 'spin' with the leash attached. Most bars still provide 'Oh Shit' grab loops on the steering lines as a back-up safety depower option, but, happily, I've never needed to use them.

Yes... get a newer bar. It's well worth the money in terms of freedom and safety compared to those crude old things.
nutmeg

Post by nutmeg »

Thanks! That's what I thought .. . .I bought it not knowing that they ever made things like that - wish it would have had some mention of it .. .now having issues - a plastic piece broke and they don't really support it.

The best answer that they had for me was to buy the new stuff - ummmm yeah . .. .my stuff is still not well used!
RobH

Post by RobH »

Cabrinha switchblades had that same issue in 2007-2008. when you flagged the kite it would flop around with a couple loops before seddling down, so I would grab one of the center lines instead to flag. Cabs now have the " IDS" system which depowers and flags the kite from the center lines that are positioned closer to the wing tips, very nice system for self rescue/landing - no more flopping and looping
Rob Hyland
Cabrinha Shop Rider / Lakawa Team Rider