Kite/board question

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

cericson01

Kite/board question

Post by cericson01 »

I am looking to add to my kite gear but have a very limited budget (don't we all), so my question is this, for Minnesota winds would a bigger board or bigger kite give me more bang for my buck? I am an advanced beginner/intermediate kiter currently riding a 143 slingshot board with a Best Kahoona 11.5 kite, I am a lightweight at 160lbs dripping wet. I know the last couple days I was thinking a smaller kite would have been good, but I think generally the last couple days are not the norm for around here. For reference I think my setup currently is best suited for winds around 15-17 knots with gusts up around 25 still being comfortable (as I get more experience I am sure that range will get bigger) but above that I would be just along for the ride right now. So with that I am curious what people think, bigger kite or bigger board?

Thanks

Chris
Barry P

Re: Kite/board question

Post by Barry P »

My vote: bigger board (look for a FLAT rocker) will be the best improvement.

For a guy your size a 154 Spleene Door would be a good choice. Still edges well and handles chop as winds pick up too.

If you buy new, look for the Spleene Fun Tech Door (150). Slingshot Glide is popular and the CrazyFly Cruiser too. But I haven't tried any of them.

After that a bigger kite would be your next step to kiting light conditions.
Eric P

Re: Kite/board question

Post by Eric P »

I don't think you need a bigger kite, but you will definitely want a smaller one at some point. Another option for really light wind is a directional, either surf board or skim / wake surfer. The fun of those is that you can ride them strapless and make the challenge of light wind kiting fun again. A good one I have really enjoyed is the Liquid Force Kitefish, which is fast and springy in the chop we have around here, but also really fun if you get up to Milly and get to ride some bigger waves. That is where the wind can get light, and a bit bigger board can make all the difference.

Your kite should be big enough, but I can't say for sure without having experience flying that specific kite. I would suggest a bigger directional board, and a smaller kite, because nothing sucks more than to be stuck on the beach while it really blows and everyone is out having fun except you.
Eric