Duluth

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Geo

Duluth

Post by Geo »

Exploding today. Someone is hopefully gonna get rides on those 8-10' waves...
Stroh

Re: Duluth

Post by Stroh »

I'm loaded up and ready to ride! Hoping someone is going out with me!
Jon Stroh
dave12341234

Post by dave12341234 »

Hope you guys got some good ridin in! Jon, I'll be back the week of may 5th ready to ride, cant wait!
"You can't buy happiness, but buying a kite is very close"
Geo

Post by Geo »

Going up to see my daughter play volleyball in Duluth this Saturday...unless the forecast stays promising. Even some SUN forecast!
Geo

Post by Geo »

...upgraded again!

3' waves will probably be higher, since it is blowing tonight, too. We'll see.

mid-teens, G to 30.
Geo

Post by Geo »

Full sun. Big sheep. 9-10m kites. Barry and I are hogging it all...
Randy

Post by Randy »

Awesome. Looks to be beauuutifull up there today. Babysitting grandkids today with no regrets, but hoping you'll launch a couple for me. Looking for a full accounting.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Geo

Post by Geo »

Awesome was right! This was one of those rare times in which one's desire to have the forecast build actually comes true. I had this day on my calendar for about 2 months since my daughter's volleyball tournament was scheduled. You kind of work it out in your head, about how you can see the volleyball, sneak some sailing in (of course the wind will happen - right?), and work out all the other details so that everyone is happy.

Looked at the isobars early in the week thinking that they might come together, and wondering why the early forecasts weren't showing better (since everyone needs affirmation of their hopes). Each day, it would bump up a little, making this morning's arrival in Duluth to "not rainy", with steady breeze and big sheep out in the bay a big treat. Watched my daughter for two matches, and when I got outside at 12:30 it was Full Sun. Really?! Temps can be pretty cool (45º today), but that sun makes everything good. That, and a drysuit.

Barry and I did have it all to ourselves. We wondered where everyone was?? Sort of like forbidden fruit, we almost felt guilty. Going over that sand dune, it always seems windy, Barry on a 9, me rigging a 10. Seemed like a good call with the Duluth readings at about 20 knots. Lots of shore break, waves outside were 5-8'.

On the way back I was wondering exactly what it is about The Mother that makes it so special. The power and size of the the biggest waves on the outside, being on them when they are both bearing down on you and raising you up with them, not being able to see the horizon, and forcing you to see ahead to where the wave is gong to be rather than where it is now…All that is happening at the same time, and it should be scaring the bejeezes out of me, but instead there is a kind of calm focus and everything almost seems in slow motion.

Today was my first time on a strapped surfboard up there. Went out first strapless for about 15 minutes. When I said that 10 was a good call? Not so much. Bad combination: overpowered / disorganized shore break / no straps. Pop over the whitewater and you end up tiptoeing on your board to keep it with you. Even an extra dose of stubborn and perseverance isn't going to make it right.

The wind was actually 22-29 knots at the time, which I found out from the Really Good "past observations" section of the Marine Forecast for Duluth. Every 6 minutes there is another reading. Hadn't seen that before, so next time I go out, I'm definitely checking that before rigging. Instead of rigging to an 8, I got on the strapped surfboard, which - no surprise - helps a lot in the whitewater! Really helps in the big sections, too. Since I was overpowered, took some RIDES cutting down the wave, down wind that were a little more exciting that anticipated. Surfboard: FAST in waves. Which is good when you are outrunning the lip, which has just gone from blue to white, meaning going over it just isn't gonna work. (Tried that once to see if I could make it go on a collapsing 7' wave. Answer: no. But, the kite does keep you up in the foamy part much better than going over the falls in a windsurfer.)

Anyway, why did I write all of this stuff? Because it somehow seems guilty not to share (see previous). And so next time it looks promising I remember that being up there will probably way more memorable than what I was planning to do down here, except for playing with my future grandkids. (Randy - wish you could have been in both places).

Thanks to Barry for sharing the water - It was fun chasing him around looking all stylish and smooth. We almost look like twins with our matching Elements and Red surfboards. (Ok, I guess mine is more pinkish now.)
Attachments
photo2.jpg
photo2.jpg (91.42 KiB) Viewed 7754 times
JRN

Post by JRN »

YOU GUYS DESERVE HIGH PRAISE, for braving the "Elements!" :wink: I thought, "No way" when I saw the forecast, but...WOW! :mrgreen:
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Geo

Post by Geo »

Cold wan't ever an issue while we were out, but Barry's lips were a little blue as we packed up, he was in a 5/4. Mitts help a ton.
Dry suits work great.
Randy

Post by Randy »

What a great account! Reminds me of Van Morrison's song, "Mama Told Me There'd Be Days Like This". It's especially gratifying when it all comes together on a day when you were planning to have it come together.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Randy

Post by Randy »

What a great account! Reminds me of Van Morrison's song, "Mama Told Me There'd Be Days Like This". It's especially gratifying when it all comes together on a day when you were planning to have it come together.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

I was great to ride with Geo. I'm still smiling from the rides and ramps from yesterday.

The waves were coming in pretty nice. On the outside I could see that the line up was coming in to the outer sand bars at an angle a bit to the east rather than straight on, which meant that you could sometimes get on and follow the break north as the wave kept coming on to the first sand bar.

The power of the waves on Superior is really impressive. Fast and strong. I swear they come in harder than on the Gulf (SPI), but maybe it's just my imagination.

I can't wait to get up there again. Still smiling. What a gift!
Reds

Post by Reds »

sorry I missed it..next time
Patrick
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

:oops: I think I left my Caution bar & line set there in the parking area of the 22nd street launch @ Park Point (yellow & black bar) :oops:

If you happen to come across it... 763-232-2726

Thanks!

:oops:
dave12341234

Post by dave12341234 »

Im heading there tomorow barry, ill look for it and let ya know.
"You can't buy happiness, but buying a kite is very close"