New Ice?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Chummers

New Ice?

Post by Chummers »

Does anyone know if the melt / re-freeze has resulted in any smooth & safe ice anywhere around the metro? If so, I want to get out on the freeskate! From the road Calhoun appeared to be new ice, but that was probably just wishful thinknig.
davec

Re: New Ice?

Post by davec »

If its good, I'd be up for a sesh tomorrow morning before it gets to warm.
tom_latcham

Post by tom_latcham »

I rode yesterday on Browns bay. It was more waterskiing than snow skiing. The lake was flooded with 3 to 4 inches of water. I put plastic bags between my boot shells and liners and Plastic bags on outside of boots before stepping into the bindings. It was allot of fun. I was slightily over powered on my 11. But the watter has a little more drag so it worked good. I had to ride with my weight back to keep the spray below my knees. I stopped at kite island put the kite down and had a beer while getting some sun on a big rock in my t shirt. Water was flowing like a river into the pressure ridge off the island tip. Any fish holes I encountered had whirlpools like a flushing toilet. I stopped and talked to a fisherman drilling a hole with an augar. I was surprised the ice was still 18" thick where he was drilling. As the sun got lower the lake was starting to drain. Patches of slush emerged and the sunset was fantastic off the puddles all over the bay. This morning the lake has drained and the slush layer will hold an edge nice. I am getting a few chores done and heading out for another session. Yesterday I only encoutered 2 ice boaters, 4 fisherman , and one nut on a 4 wheeler.
TL
fabrino

Post by fabrino »

Rode Calhoun on Sunday and was lots of fun..
wind was fairly strong and steady and the surface was slushy but pretty dry..
At midday it was so sunny and warm, it felt like a summer day

this is a short video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH2Qb9Otl7Q

I thought I'd see more kiters out there but only couple of windsurfers were around, I guess the serious
kiters have already started the liquid season on the Mississippi.. :D
I am not sure about the rain damage but hopefully we could have some more sessions this week
Chummers

Post by Chummers »

Luckily Jay (Big Air) called me on Friday to report Calhoun had new, smooth, hard ice so we were able to get out on our freeskates for a nice session. Had sessions on the snowfer on Saturday and Sunday that were both good.

I wonder whether the ice is still safe, and if so, for how long. Does anybody have any idea? I don't think I have the guts to go out again, especially after the warm days that are coming this week.
cericson01

Post by cericson01 »

Flew out of Minneapolis earlier today and the ice on all local lakes was deep black in color and didn't look all that good