Monday - President's Day

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

efjanssen

Monday - President's Day

Post by efjanssen »

Looks like the Monday forecast is for winds in the mid to high teens. Has anyone been up to the Shell Lake area recently? Is there any snow? If not, how far do you have to go to find decent conditions? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Barry P

Re: Monday - President's Day

Post by Barry P »

I drove past Mille Lacs Saturday. It there was pretty nice snow cover on the whole west side of the lake.

I plan to drive up to Garrison and kite the northern part of the lake on Monday.

Anyone else planning on enjoying the day up there?
Iceman

Post by Iceman »

I was out on the main part of Minnetonka today by kite island and found it to be nice out there and I am planning on going back there Monday.
Iceman
bmr

Post by bmr »

I drove past Mille Lacs Saturday...
Thanks for the report, Barry...I was thinking Hayward, WI earlier, however I'll try my luck at Millie. ETA 1000.

I guess the Club Med crew is relocating this season. :?
Have kite, will travel.
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

Great, I'll be looking for you. I'll be there by 11 at the latest.
stevenP

Post by stevenP »

Barry P. or anyone else who knows: What do you consider pretty good snow on Mille? Is there enough to comfortably ride a snowboard or only a couple inches?

sPk
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

"Prett Good snow"... Full snow cover, but only an inch of wind pack. Good for skies but I don't think I'd enjoy using a snowboard.

Take a look at the Mille Lacs web cams

This has been a tough winter.
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

Kited 45 miles today on "Pretty Good" snow.

After a play session I decided to try a loop from Garrison to Malmo and back. Somewhat up wind to Malmo as I zigzaged my way east.. The Garrison pressure ridge/split was pretty easy to traverse. After that I only hit an occasional field of small (6" chunks) broken ice. Otherwise it was smooth, quiet, mostly untracked wind packed fast snow. Wonderful. About a mile out from Malmo Beach I came up against a fairly wide area of large (3-4 feet) jumbled blocks and decided to call it close enough. The ride back was a fast broad reach over the wonderfully smooth surface almost all the way back (where did those fields of 6" chunks go to?).

Back in Garrision it was fun to kite with Mike and Terry for a little while before heading home.

Best President's Day in a long time. :D :D