Saturday in WI????

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Ric

Saturday in WI????

Post by Ric »

Does anybody know the conditions in Shell Lake. WI? Is it worth the trip from the TC?
Just checking to see if anybody may be going up there. We will have the cold this weekend but I am not sure about the snow and wind!
Thanks
Ric
Mike B

Re: Saturday in WI????

Post by Mike B »

Drove by Shell Lake about 4:30 today. The surface looks fully covered and nice and smooth. About 2-5" bonded cover.
I am staying in Hayward tonight. There is significantly more snow in the Hayward area! Round Lake, Grindstone, and Lac Court Oreilles are my potential targets for Saturday, with Shell lake as a back-up. There looks to be about 6-10"+ on the lakes around here with 3-5" of fresh stuff.

Come on up and ride. I need some company.

six5one 3four3 two4six9 (cell)
Midwest Mountaineering/Ozone Team Rider
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

The public access on the Southeast side of Grindstone Lake about 11:00am is the call.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Where is this lake? I have never been there. Directions???
thanks
Heathers

Post by Heathers »

I would be happy to hear a report, I'm planning to be out there next weekend :D thanks!
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

:D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D
One foot of packed snow, smooth surface, wind 15-20+, and 6 kites up.

Google it.

Hint - Haward WI
MK

Post by MK »

Sooooo fun! Staying in Spooner tonight and Shell Lake looks worth it Sunday. Forecast on the bubble at the moment.
bmr

Post by bmr »

Yah, mon! Big thanks to Mike B for scouting the lakes! Glad to see I wasn't the only one who had a jonesing to kite - we all lit the sky up. What a great day.

8)
Have kite, will travel.
jrjohnson1

Post by jrjohnson1 »

Yeah, Saturday was simply an awesome day. It takes 2.5 hours to drive to Grindstone Lake from the Twin Cities, but considering the conditions in MN and all the snow they have there, it's worth it.

Bruce, you were asking about jumping techniques... in the knowledge section of Lakawa there's a post in which Tighe and Eric provide good instructions - here's the link:

http://www.lakawa.com/knowledge-f3/jump ... t4584.html
bmr

Post by bmr »

A quick throw-together of some footage from Saturday mixed in with some shtuff I had archived:

http://vimeo.com/36688980
Have kite, will travel.
MK

Post by MK »

Fun to run into you and nice vid. It's good for all to see the surface conditions out there.

I had lessons on Shell Lk Sunday, 30 min closer to the cities. Conditions were virtually the same for the surface but less wind. I forget how little wind you need to enjoy this sport. The newbies loved it of course but I would have preferred the steady mid teens from Saturday.

Mike B and I took an upwind leg burner 2-3 miles on Grindstone Saturday. On the way back I did what Kosk defines as "danglefest." So fun to boost and float over and over. The sun gave view to my shadow as I bounded back down wind for a few miles.

Great scenery, snow conditions, and overjoyed to get out. The meal with Al, Bruce, Mike B, and Jesse afterwards was an additional element of the sport I've been missing this winter.

There is winter as we know it just a few hours east. It's worth the trip. Spooner and Hayward both have all the aura of Brainerd, Two Harbors, Mille Lacs options. But, there is snow with 1% ice exposed and cars driving on the lakes in both Shell and Grindstone Lakes. I'll frequent there for the rest of the winter. Maybe need to consider an impromptu "gathering?"
bmr

Post by bmr »

Fun to run into you...
THANKS. Yah, nice to see you up there! I wish I could've stayed overnight and hit those other lakes you mentioned. Sounded like you guys had a great time.

Improptu Gathering would be saweet! Looking at the count of hits on this thread, me thinks there's alot of folks out there lurking who need their fix BIGTIME.

:!: ANY LURKERS OUT THERE WHO THINK WI NEEDS A "MUD-DUCK" INVASION???! :!:

:twisted:
Have kite, will travel.
Heathers

Post by Heathers »

Sounds Sellar.. Thanks for the reports guys!