Vintage frenzy opinions

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

UpNorth

Vintage frenzy opinions

Post by UpNorth »

Hey everybody, looking for some info on older frenzies, specifically the biggest one Ozone made, the 14 meter, say around an '06 model. Anyone have any opinions on them? Any good for light wind or a slow turning dog? I have a guy that wants to trade for one and i have never flown one.

Any info would be awesome, thanks!
Mike B

Re: Vintage frenzy opinions

Post by Mike B »

The '06 frenzy 14m is a very well built good kite. It pulls like a truck in light air and give you long floaty jumps. It does turn a little slow due to its size. The 2008 model flys faster and will give a little more pop in the jumps due to the extra speed through the window. The depowing ability of the 2008 and newer will give you more range in higher winds than the 2006. The 2006 gets over powered much earlier. I have aslo found a way to give the 2008 more grunt and faster turning ability in real light wind with a back line mod. The newer Frenzys are more versitle, and faster, the older ones just pull hard in lighter air.

I do have a like new 2008 or 2009 (can't remeber for sure) Frenzy FX 14m (blue & yellow) that I am willing to sell for $550 if you think you would want a newer one.
Midwest Mountaineering/Ozone Team Rider
UpNorth

Post by UpNorth »

thanks for the info Mike. I am actually trying to sell a 2011 11M frenzy, its in the classifieds...and havent had any serious offers on it, but i have a guy that wants to trade a barely used '06 14M for it. If I was going to trade, I'd rather have your newer FX. You wouldn't be interested would you? I need a good lightwind kite!

Jack
Matt V

Post by Matt V »

Definitely consider an HQ Matrixx 15m. I was very leery of the closed cell design at first, but I just really needed a light wind kite so I pulled the trigger. I am still not sold on the water capabilities unless you are down someplace with shallow flats, but the land capabilities are just insane. Compared to my HQ Montana's (5&6), the Matrixx is just light years ahead in all areas that I like.

The turning in light wind is just insane. The Matrixx will turn in 1mph wind or less if you sine it but my Montana's need something to turn off of, though the Montana's still do turn better than any inflatable I have ever flown in light winds. My 15m Matrix also does not turn too fast in higher winds. Maybe a characteristic of the size I own, or the kite design, but it just never really starts to turn crazy fast when you are completely overpowered on it like when you are on an inflatable. The Matrixx is just always under control.

Relaunch was suprisingly better than even an open cell foil. And the brake line still functions perfect and gives you all of "stop anywhere" you could ever want.

The float is great too. The Matrixx just stays up there on a jump and seems to never over run or pendulum you. My Montana's need to turned really hard to keep me from blowing a landing when it is light and especially when I am using a hill to make enough speed to jump in lighter winds.

The light wind "stay up there" can only be described as "hot air balloon" like. You can seriously keep this kite up and looping in winds that would allow a 50lb child to not get yanked on those loops. And that is with a 15m!

The depower seems to be infinite on this kite. This is going to sound crazy, but the tips kind of hinge down when you are completely overpowered and you actually lose kite area presented to the wind. It is not the performance robing "tip fold" that you get with open cells, but truly like a hinge has swung free and the kite just keeps loosing area/power. You still can turn the kite great and get up wind without a problem. I am curious to whether the Speed 2-3's do this too.

Yes the bar is a little out of date and I would love a pass through 5th line swivel. The 5th line kill is also something to be avoided, though at the same time it is reassuring to have. But those minor flaws are not detrimental to the kites functioning. And in the end, I am really hoping to have a 12m Matrixx for next years kite season to replace my Montana's.

You have got to try closed cell for light wind. I am sold on it now even though I was skeptical at first.
mdh01

Post by mdh01 »

I had an '06 frenzy 14m for a while. While it does have a lot of pull, even in light winds, I found it turned too slow for me. It was hard going between the fast turning inflatable and this slow turning foil. It is certainly something one can get used to, I probably didn't give it enough time.

Mark