2 to 3" YAY!

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

BSMITH

2 to 3" YAY!

Post by BSMITH »

The ice on Tonka is real sticky right now. Hopefully, some of the new snow will stick.
I'm heading over to the sailing school island after work. Nice wind break there.
I have had the truck out on Sprink Park Bay and Black Lake. Anyone seen vehicles on St. Louis Bay?
johnz

Re: 2 to 3" YAY!

Post by johnz »

I think I'll check out Medicine this afternoon.

I'm too scared to drive out on Minnetonka and I'm too lazy to drag all the stuff out to that yacht club island :wink:
John Z
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

I just got off Turtle. Best conditions of the winter! :D

85% snow coverage (2").

Beware near the 'thin ice' signs. Not only is there thin ice, there are two patches of open water large enough to ski right into.
Professor Robae'

Post by Professor Robae' »

Yo Mr. Smith, how was it? Wish I could have made it today but soon. Any others out there? Did you drive to the YC Island? Surface looks pretty "drifted" but if the ice in between has texture it should be good?

Did you guys know that Alex Peterson has moved back to the West Side? He's been out on kite & skates a few times so far. Looking forward to seeing some big air from the King this winter!
BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

I did not. I forgot my friggin' ski boots at home! I did have a portable 3 man fish house, ice auger, two pairs of hockey skates, two hockey sticks, 3 pairs of down hill skis, a pair of x country skis, power ice auger, a bag of karate gear, 6 kites...

Simplify your life they say...
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

I'm seeing vehicles in various place out on Tonka (Carman, Smith, Arcola). Every area has it's own characteristics, be careful. If you can get out to kite island without having to traverse any ice ridges, probably safe any day now. Snow conditions aren't that great though, 40% exposed ice.
EOPPEN

Post by EOPPEN »

I went out yesterday at LMSS. Lots of drifts and major speed runs was pretty fast. Lot,s of ice still out there because of blowing snow. Big drift ramps and good snow in veins.

I saw plenty of ice houses right there in the channel to Carson's, all that have vehicle's parked right there. I saw some people in vehicle's all the way near big island. Seems little sketchy driving all over but I think driving to LMSS is safe. I would not be surprised if driving to spirit island from wayzata is safe too. Go at own risk!

Was a fun session wish there were others to join. I think Saturday may be good.
iDoLSurf Shaper/Rider
wyatt

Post by wyatt »

Tried to launch at Cottagewood yesterday, but was disappointed to find a temporary parking ban on the two spots that they have at the beach. I ended up over at WYC which ended up being a bit of a bust - played a lot of hopscotch in between the patches of snow. With the gusty breeze and patchy snow, it was good for speed runs but not much else.

Best case scenario would be that the snow firms up with the warm-up and subsequent cool down in time to form a base for another snow. I did drive my jeep on the ice, but I didn't see too many people venture very far out from shore. Noted a small N-S ice ridge in Wayzata Bay and rumor has it that there is a larger one out by Kite Island.

Think snow!
This space for rent.
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

An ice ridge often develops from Kite Island to Robinsons Bay. That's the one I would be looking for. Sometimes it extends right to the tip of the island. So if you came from Wayzata and parked at the middle of the island you might never come near the ice ridge, but something to be aware of. Where's Pete Hill, he's usually first out there. Gotta hit the USSA races with my son so won't be out anytime soon myself.
BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

I drove out on Wayzata bay yesterday. There is about 90% coverage with about 60% bonded. Had to use the long skinny skis. Not bad though. I did not drive up to the island but I did see a couple of suburbans drive up there. Trucks all over the lake now.
Professor Robae'

Post by Professor Robae' »

Yo Brian, going today? A few of us are going to rig at MYC Island for the late afternoon sesh. Snow is the best on the Eastern shore so the NW wind will be sweet!
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

Kited Medicine this afternoon. What a gorgeous day! The South end of Medicine has nearly complete snow cover. I drove out and rigged. :D
BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

Mr. Evans

I did the The early afternoon shift. Robinsons Bay is good. I think I crosed paths with Pete out by Spirit Island on the drive out. I dove all over the lake and never went through once. More tomorrow and Saturday.
dave12341234

Post by dave12341234 »

GOD, all these posts about snow now... im in nd for work and there is 0 snow, but every day since ive been here(last friday) its been blowing. Theres some mad terrain out here on the western half of the state i wanna try, but i dont think we'll ever get it.
"You can't buy happiness, but buying a kite is very close"