Can't take it anymore

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

MK

Can't take it anymore

Post by MK »

Looking to find the perfect combination of snow and wind this weekend within driving distance of cities. Anybody able to help a brother out? Kelch, Travis and Dan B are all in so far. Trailering sleds with us.
victor-MadKR

Re: Can't take it anymore

Post by victor-MadKR »

Hi Mike,
We got 5/6 inches of snow (still falling). Maybe 1 to 2 more.
The guys were on a field today as the bigger lakes took a hit yesterday with the higher temps.

Wish I can say come over to Madison, but the wind does not look good for Sat.
Snow is great just need that perfect combination you were saying...
I heard Eau Claire got more snow. That is about 2h from where you are I think.
Finding the right field takes time but is possible.
Eager to ride as well...

Here is the forecast in case it chances.
Let us know if you decide to drive somewhere.
I'll keep you posted as I hear more updates of snow and wind.

Victor
MADISON
http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwhere.i ... ast+Graphs
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

The snow depth maps and web cams show good coverage on lakes starting about Rice Lake, WI area and increasing as you go ENE to 20+ inches in the Park Falls and Manitowish Waters area. Basically the snow starts 1.5 hours away from the Twin Cities and gets deeper and deeper to abour 4+ hours. There shoud be 6-12" cover or better in the Cable/Lake Namakagon area. My target zone is Hayward and further NNE (Likely Lake Namakagon). The wind forcasts are prety weak for Saturday, but Sunday looks to be shaping up for SSE at 10-12+ by the afteroon and 27 degrees. Monday looks like less. I will be on the road heading somewhere for Saturday and Sunday (mabe Monday if the forcast picks up).

After riding fresh pow a few weeks ago in Idaho and Wyoming, I need another fresh snowfix! 8)
Midwest Mountaineering/Ozone Team Rider
JRN

Post by JRN »

The wind has bown most all of the paltry snow off WBL. Looks like teeth chattering rides on the bumpy ice for now. May have to scout out some smooth ice & try to get out on Sunday. Don't know what became of my fellow E-side freeskaters, we used to have quite a group. Maybe they all bought ice boats?
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Matt V

Post by Matt V »

Well, I was perfectly positioned for that pre-Christmas Kansas snowstorm since I live in Omaha, NE. But now it looks like the snow is just a bit too far away for me now. With the forecast temps making more ice around Alexandria, I may just have to ride a blade up there.

Keep us posted on where you will kite if you head east of Minneapolis to chase the good snow. I may break open the piggy bank for some more gas money to hit Wisconsin.
MK

Post by MK »

Lol, just sent you an email Matt.

I'll make my decision later today and hope to have you and others join. Mike B has my interest at the moment, I'll look at the wind forecast there. There are a few of us banding together and dragging snowmobiles along and we have room for a few more. The details will become clearer with the wind forecast.
MK

Post by MK »

Mike B

Post by Mike B »

Here is a much better interactive snow depth map from NOAA:

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/ ... &js=1&uc=0

Make sure to select Shallow Snow Depth and click on High-Contrast Palette and Roads. also make shure you are looking at the correct date.
MK

Post by MK »

You had to one-up me Mike :lol:

Hourly Forecast 6AM 12 Noon 6PM 12 Midnight
Lansing, IA
Sat Wind1 mph South 4 mph SSW 2 mph WSW 1 mph SSW
Sun Wind 11 mph S 14 mph S 14 mph S 12 mph South
Duluth
Wind Sat 6 mph ESE 4 mph ESE 2 mph SW 4 mph NW
Wind Sun 9 mph East 9 mph ESE 0 mph WNW 1 mph NNE
Maple Grove
Wind Sat 3 mph SE 4 mph East 4 mph SSW 3 mph North
Wind Sun 7 mph ENE 11 mph ESE 4 mph East 1 mph WSW
Fergus
Wind Sat 3 mph SSE 5 mph NW 6 mph West 6 mph SE
Wind Sun 17 mph SE 12 mph SSW 3 mph South 12 mph NW
Hayward, WI
Wind Sat 3 mph SSW 6 mph SSW 5 mph SE 2 mph SSE
Wind Sun 2 mph SE 11 mph SE 8 mph SE 3 mph South
Dubuque, IA
Wind Sat 3 mph SE 3 mph ENE 1 mph SSE 7 mph SE
Wind Sun 11 mph SE 8 mph SE 6 mph South 18 mph ESE

Doesn't look like much wind today or Sunday. Fergus Falls has a spike as best wind for the weekend, Sunday during the day. Snow is best E and SE.
Lee_Uptown

Post by Lee_Uptown »

I think it's time to start a kitchen/home remodeling project and hire kiters in the construction to work on it... like Randy and Keith! There's more out there!
MK

Post by MK »

Wonderful quick trip with a few up to Duluth. Saturday yielded 5+/-mph winds. I had a request to verify performance of a kite so flew a 9.5 HQ Montana. I got some life out of it but only like 100yds, the winds were just too light. Very impressed with the ability of that kite to even fly in these light winds, I think I'll add them to my tiny store.

Today, Sunday, was a perfect wind day. It came in about noon so gave us a chance to wake slowly and get a good lunch in before riding. I flew a 2011 15M Taboo and the others were both on 13M SS Key's. We all chose to use our skis. Island Lake was about 75% snow covered with a few great 100% covered areas to play in. Legs are fried, it was really fun to get out.

Glad to read about others posting and getting out.
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

Rode 16"+ deep fresh POW all day today with 15-25 mph winds and bright sun! 8) All this a little over 4 hours from home. A nice drive on the lake ice road in Packer Land. We may be back next weekend.
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

Medicine Lake today.

10% thin snow islands, 90% really smooooth ice (not quite the perfect Zamboni kind of smooth we had in December, just a bit 'rumpled' and very glossy - nothing rough except the ice around the fish holes).

I stopped by a fisherman who reported 16 inches of ice now. With a little more cold, we'll start seeing vehicles on the lakes.
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

I stopped at Ramsey today. Glossy fairly rough ice. I decided to kite at Turtle instead... much better ice - good with sharp skies (about as smooth as Medicine had). Sparse snow patches.

When are we going to get some SNOW?
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

P1080022.zip
(403.63 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
This is Mt. Baldy, in the Big Horn range near Lovell, Wyoming. There was plenty of snow at 9000 feet 2 weeks ago with more on the way. This place is only an hour and a half south of Billing, MT.
" Real living begins on the far side of despair " _ Jean Paul Sartre
Netdewt

Post by Netdewt »

SNOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

Mt. Baldy ( west side )
Attachments
405299_153591598085446_100003038199033_219054_1979979947_n.jpg
405299_153591598085446_100003038199033_219054_1979979947_n.jpg (7.41 KiB) Viewed 10317 times
" Real living begins on the far side of despair " _ Jean Paul Sartre