Water?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Barry P

Water?

Post by Barry P »

I kited at Turtle Lake today. There were 2 areas of open water where the lake has springs. I checked a freshly augured fish hole in the Southern end of the lake and found it was in 8 inches of ice which was more than I was expecting.

How much more warm weather can our lakes take? How are the other lakes around the cities doing?

How is Waconia? I think Mille Lacs is still open in the center.

Is the St. Croix open?

How about Pepin?

How about Clear Lake, IA?

Any chance of scoring a water session (an intentional one) in January?
davepark

Re: Water?

Post by davepark »

Medicine seemed to be good as of last Friday but I stayed in that south east section in front of the bait shop. An ice fisherman reported 8 inches of ice in several holes he drilled. I spoke with a sheriff deputy while I was there and she said they had not taken any calls from Medicine but plenty from Minnetonka and of course she had to remind me that ice is never safe. It seems that it is getting cold enough at night so ice depth is not changing much, but who knows with two more days above 40..........
ahill

Post by ahill »

Milacs is still wide open. Crazy thing is there is permanent fish houses about twenty feet away from the edge of the water. Also the ice is still moving away and twords the shore daily.
Netdewt

Post by Netdewt »

This winter sucks...
Lee_Uptown

Post by Lee_Uptown »

Well... it just means we'll have a much earlier and longer Open water season... that's good right?
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

I called Clear Lake, IA (2+ hrs) - they still have 3-7 inches of ice.

Smithville Reservoir, MO is wide open (6+ hrs).
Netdewt

Post by Netdewt »

True, but since I am trying to learn this sport, I was hoping to get some solid learning done on snow this winter to avoid downwinders and boats and crowds in the summer.
Lee_Uptown

Post by Lee_Uptown »

@Netdewt: Go to SPI for 10 days or 2 weeks if you can. Cheap as hell. The amount of skills I learn in a week there is equivalent to a year's worth of riding in MN. I'm for sure heading down there in April.
cericson01

Post by cericson01 »

I agree with lee uptown, I went to SPI in the fall for 4 days, 3 were rideable and I scored 6 hours each day of riding and went from being able to get up and ride but not stay upwind to being confident in riding and transitions some toe side turns, and even some baby jumping. I spent all summer chasing around the cities and didn't get nearly the experience or fun. I am hoping I can talk the wife into letting me go in spring!!
Netdewt

Post by Netdewt »

I want to go. It would take some major convincing I think.
MK

Post by MK »

I'll testify, Chris jumped some babies.
Geo

Post by Geo »

So Barry -
Your question is where can we go for open water around here, yes?

If the open areas at Milly are big enough, it could be really fun flat water. Anyone ever done that? Might be sort of like the glassy area behind the island at WBL this summer. "Lagoon sailing" - just like the tropics.
Dave Z

Post by Dave Z »

Lake Mendota, Madison WI. Still open. Air temps are a little chilly though.

http://www.union.wisc.edu/webcam/
peterrib

Post by peterrib »

Plenty of open water on Ripley. Old time locals say they have never seen anything like it. Opens further each day. SE corner all the way around to the NW. Comes right up to the shoreline. Very tempting.
jeffengel

Post by jeffengel »

So has anyone tossed on a dry suit an went out for a water session in January? sounds crazy, but sometimes I know we are all a little crazy. Im sure it would be a lot more fun to find some good powder some place.
MK

Post by MK »

Shell Lake is good. 2 hrs east of metro. An elderly gentleman just stopped and asked us "what happened!" while he pointed to our kites parked on the lake. Understandably bewildered, we explained, to which he said "well there is a lot of good wind out there today then." He proceeded to say good bye and drive across the lake in his Ford F-150.