Neer did get my Lunacy...

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

tumblemonster

Neer did get my Lunacy...

Post by tumblemonster »

...And now they're not making them anymore? There are still a few sites that have them in stock, and I've finally stabilized enough to look at boards again, so the questions is now, grab a 129 Lunacy while I can (at a discount) or get a darko? The Darko looks like a bit softer lunacy, which might be nice considering the summer chop we often get. Anyone ridden both to compare? Planning to buy soon, taking my padre trip in April again finally!
Tighe

Re: Neer did get my Lunacy...

Post by Tighe »

Love my lunacy...
Tighe
Adam B

Post by Adam B »

I really like the lunacy, especially the 129. I have compared it to the 132 and it is way more aggressive. I believe the 129 was always Ruben Lentens size so it rocks in the 25+ mph category but still works great 15+. It really depends on how you ride. When are you going to Padre? You could try mine if you would like.
johnz

Post by johnz »

I've ridden both and I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Personally, I like the Darko - it is more forgiving (I've had some flat real bone-shaker landings on the Lunacy) and is better in the chop, but seems to have just as much pop as the Lunacy - at least for mere mortals.

Just my two cents... If the temps keep climbing, you're welcome to try it next week :wink:
Last edited by johnz on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Z
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
Eric P

Post by Eric P »

I bought a 2008 lunacy from Denis. It is the 132. I find it to be a pretty aggressive board with a crap load of pop, but a little harder to handle in the chop than what I was used to. I had 2006 Spleen Rip 138, which was much softer. The Lunacy is at least as good at lighter wind as my old spleen. The 132 lunacy is my light wind board now.

I now have two boards, the Lunacy and a 2009, 133 Cabrina custom. The Lunacy is much flatter, with much wider tips, and therefore goes up wind, and in lighter wind much better than the custom, but when the wind really picks up (and the chop really picks up), the custom really takes it to a new level. In flatter water conditions, the lunacy is sick for pop tricks and going unhooked, but in our choppy conditions, the custom is amazing. If you are into really pushing your limits, and going fast on our really windy days on open water, the custom is a great choice. If you have a chance to get on flatter water, or want something that will work in all conditions, the Lunacy is a better choice. I usually have a hard time choosing which board I want for the day, and will often switch out between the two.

As for the Darko, I think it is designed as an extreme pop, flat water board. I do not know how well it would handle the chop you would be throwing at it here in MN. You can tell by how wide the tips are, and straight the side rails are. I would love to try one on the flat water behind those islands on WB, but that might be the only good place for a board like that in MN. My guess is that kind of a board would be spraying you in the face constantly in chop.

I also ride with boots, and weigh about 170 lb.
Eric
tumblemonster

Post by tumblemonster »

I was sold on the Lunacy last year before some things fell through, I'm going for it. Mike has one which I am snatching up!

Thanks for the feedback all!
Geo

Post by Geo »

It really depends a lot on your preferences and riding style. I tried Tighe's Lunacy one 25mph day - all day and gave it a good run, since I thought it was going to be The One for me. I can see the attraction, but it really was hard on my knees and felt that it was a little shorter and wider than I like. I have a custom-made 133x34 slightly narrower board that I like a lot for powered up. I also owned the Custom, and had it out in all sorts of conditions. Tried it back to back in lit conditions with Jim's Caliber 137, and liked the Caliber better for pop and feel. The Custom is fun and slashy, and I had a good day in 6-8' waves in Duluth earlier this year, (even though I prefer the surfboard.)

So, not to trash either board, but it helps to try them. If you get a good price on it, you can sell it with little cost and dial in on what works for you. (I now have a 137 x 41 Crazyfly that I haven't even used...we'll see how THAT works this spring.)