BLADES, BLACK ICE & BIG SMILES

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

JERRY

BLADES, BLACK ICE & BIG SMILES

Post by JERRY »

All of the above ingredients will be at Buffalo Lake, Buffalo today (Sun.) :)
"The Pessimist complains about the wind; the optomist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." William Arther Ward
paul-b

Re: BLADES, BLACK ICE & BIG SMILES

Post by paul-b »

Adam and I are going to check out Pelican lake just north of St Michael. If it's not good we will probably join you at Buffalo.
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

Jerry, we have some nice black gold here too. Not enough space for kiting. Ice is 4" thick but duck holes everywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_0-6F7axoA&hd=1
Jeff G

Post by Jeff G »

Jerry S at Buffalo Lake.jpg
Jeff G

Post by Jeff G »

Jerry S -Buffalo Lake.jpg
Jerry S -Buffalo Lake.jpg (83.79 KiB) Viewed 10224 times
The attachment Jerry S at Buffalo Lake.jpg is no longer available
Last edited by Jeff G on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff G

Post by Jeff G »

Sorry about that. My first try at uploading and obviously the file is too big. Any tips?
mdh01

Post by mdh01 »

Jeff,
Resize your photos to 800x600 before posting and they will fit fine for most everyone's screen size.

Mark
Nathan B

Post by Nathan B »

hows the Ice at Buffalo? Ill Be at Buffalo Lake all day this thursday with Airush demos NW corner of lake.

Paul did you and Adam make it to Pelican? thats not far from me let me know if you guys go again.

Lake Washington has great black ice. hoping this thaw melts and refreezes everything for the blades on the lakes.
Attachments
SAM_0224.JPG
SAM_0224.JPG (272.02 KiB) Viewed 10364 times
paul-b

Post by paul-b »

Adam and I checked out Pelican on Sunday but it did not look like that much bonded snow. We do want to get out and explore that lake sometime. We ended up back at French lake in Rogers. After riding Diamond lake on Saturday for a few hours, we were looking to see some other scenery. French actually had better snow than Diamond, but the geese had kept a couple spots open that we had to keep clear of. It is nice to be able to set up your equipment and inflate your kites when you are hidden behind the bullrushes out of the wind.
Adam B

Post by Adam B »

Yea French lake was pretty fun. We brought out the GPS and it is amazing to see how fast you really go, also we noticed a big ridge on the north end of the lake that looks like a lot of fun, with permission of course.
Attachments
The Ridge at the north end of the lake.
The Ridge at the north end of the lake.
DSC_0124.JPG (65.27 KiB) Viewed 10235 times
The rigging area with bullrushes my dad was talking about.
The rigging area with bullrushes my dad was talking about.
DSC_0041.JPG (84.19 KiB) Viewed 10235 times
Chummers

Post by Chummers »

What are people's thoughts on what the ice condition may be like on Thursday after all of this warm weather which must have resulted in some amount of melting. Would anyone be able to post an update of conditions? Would hate to drive an hour just to find unridable conditions.
Nathan B

Post by Nathan B »

My buddy that lives on Buffalo lake said fisherman were still on the lake as of late last night, But I have physically not been on the ice there to check it.

I am heading to Swede first to check that after work at about 11 be there around 12 noon, then maybe proceed to Buffalo if its no bueno.

Adam.... that ridge looks sick!! hopefully we get enough snow to cover it.
Nathan B

Post by Nathan B »

Swede Lake should be nice today, sun and wind! heading out there soon.
JERRY

Post by JERRY »

eight freeskaters and kiter were on Buffalo Lake yesterday(Sat.). The whole lake is great ice and I saw no open water or water on top of ice. It was a great day and we're going back today. :D Lots of room out there on large round lake. :)
"The Pessimist complains about the wind; the optomist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." William Arther Ward
Nathan B

Post by Nathan B »

nICE! whever the Ice looks better, Ill be checking both sounds like Buffalo is prob the call again! Im taking off now see ya out there.
JRN

Post by JRN »

CH 4 NEWS SHOWED A KITER ON WBL...on skates with a trainer/ foil kite. They interviewed an ice fisher going out. At the same time they were saying that NO lakes in MN are safe with the 40+ temps we're to get today. Be careful out there! Stay close to shore and bring your ice picks and maybe wear a PFD just in case. They also reported a guy who went through the ice TWICE up at Milly. I'm jonesing to get out, too. Don't become another statistic, use good judgement, and stay safe.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Crosslake yesterday trying out the big 14m hq montana kite

I was on skates for awhile and then sharpened the skis and tried them out....

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=807251424849
Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map
fabrino

Post by fabrino »

nice video!

How were the skis on the ice?

Yesterday wind was nice so I went to swede and was undecided between skis and skates.. the ice seemed pretty hard (not much melting despite the balmy temps)
so I opted for the skates and to be frank I did not enjoy much kiting with skates..it did not feel as natural as on skis...
it was my first time with skates so maybe I just don't know how to do it.. any suggestions?
anyway after a while I put down the kite and went on nice long freeskate on the lake.. I enjoyed it a lot, especially the scenery

attachment=0]IMG_20111218_133018.jpg[/attachment]

Swede should be safe for skating, lots of fishermen on it and ice measured 6 inches..it'd be nice to get some snow..
Attachments
IMG_20111218_133018.jpg
IMG_20111218_133018.jpg (93 KiB) Viewed 9829 times
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Only been out on skates a few times. After an hour on them it started to seem more natural. When I put on the skis after using the skates boy did my legs feel heavy.

I sharpened up my skis really good but they did slip some. These were shaped skis. I think it would have been much better to dig out the 200 cm old straight skis and get them all sharpened up. The shaped skis don't have as much contact with the ice as the straight skis would.... maybe the next windy day...

I haven't done this but I've heard if you get your stakes sharpened flat like a goalie that will help to hold that edge.
Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map
jeffengel

Post by jeffengel »

I was out on Green Lake in Chisago yesterday. Skates first then sharp skis. because it was so warm, the Ice was actually too soft for the skates. The skis worked great! Fun to be back out.