Ice. Got Any??

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Bryce

Ice. Got Any??

Post by Bryce »

A few of the smaller ponds and lakes have been iced over for a bit. I was thinking of checking them out for thickness. Maybe get to try the ice skates with the kite??

I saw the iceboating guys are having a regatta this weekend if anyone is interested up around Alexandria.
http://www.iceboating.net/

Remember to check the ice all around where you are kiting!
Bryce

Add to google map for MN kiting spots!
Minnesota Kiting Map
JERRY

Re: Ice. Got Any??

Post by JERRY »

RODE TRIP :!:

Who's up to Alex. :?:
"The Pessimist complains about the wind; the optomist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." William Arther Ward
kiteboymn

Post by kiteboymn »

Could be a good time to "switch" things up.

Anyone else?

Todd
Live Hard!
Lakawa Shop Rider
http://mnkiteboy.com/
wyatt

Post by wyatt »

Lake of the Isles in Minneapolis froze over last night - not that you'd want to kite there, but I take it as a sign of things to come (Calhoun is still WIDE open). I'll be doing a check of Swede this weekend and will issue a full report (unless someone in the neighborhood gets out there first).

Cold front coming through on Monday-Tuesday should make for good ice-making weather - looks like lows in the teens. Let it begin!
This space for rent.
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

Heading to Lake Christina on Saturday/Sunday to hang out with the iceboat crew. Milepost 8 past Ashby. I will have my skates, skis, blades of doom, and my kites with me.
Midwest Mountaineering/Ozone Team Rider
JERRY

Post by JERRY »

Where's the wind :?:

Gravity turns instead on white strip down bump.
"The Pessimist complains about the wind; the optomist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." William Arther Ward
kiteboymn

Post by kiteboymn »

Vick and I will be there with multiple ice toys. Anyone wanting demo a 3rd gen Switchblade rig is more than welcome. (I'll have 3-4 with me)

9-12 mph winds, sunny, 30 degrees, should be a fun hoggers delight! 8)

Todd
Live Hard!
Lakawa Shop Rider
http://mnkiteboy.com/
JRN

Post by JRN »

PROJECT LOOMS. Friends hog fun. Moon glints off blades & ice.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Matt V

Post by Matt V »

So the big question is,"how thick is the ice around Alex?"

I have a place to stay up at Alexandria and Spicer. I prefer terrain so I have been Google Earthin it lately and have found some promising WMA's. I also came across the ski hill that would do to save a no wind day. Anybody find good terrain up around Alex or Spicer? I know it will be a wait for some snow, but I like to have options.

Luckily it is snowing good here in Omaha, NE right now and we may just get the perfect wet/heavy base to cover the bean fields but not enough to fill in the grassed terraces. I almost do not want to make tracks in it until it gets cold tonight.
MK

Post by MK »

Just got a call from a friend of mine who drove past Lake Christina. This is my old stomping grounds. My friend thought of me because he thought he saw 2 kites up. Nice of him to report in. I started following the ice boat event on facebook in the hopes thier poster, Deb, gives us a glimpse of a kiter.

The Switchblade should do the trick! Glad to hear the ice is nearing us. It won't be too long now. January is always a safe bet to consider but I'll hope for some bonus December time.
wyatt

Post by wyatt »

Took a drive out to Swede Lake today...

When I got there, there were two guys with questionable judgment fishing out on the ice already, about 50 yards from the launch area. I walked out about 10-15 yards and heard the ice crack beneath my feet. I thought better of it and got the ice depth from them at a safe distance - they said it was about two inches. Ooooookayyyy...I walked slow and soft getting off.

Ice was soft, black ice with 95% coverage over the lake. There were a few wet spots that I could see from the safety of my car in the shallow island areas around the lake. Snow coverage was about 25% and what snow was on the ice seemed to adhere pretty well. Depending on how much snow we get, the cold temps over the next week should firm things up. I'm going to stay off it for now, but may consider a ride next weekend. I love it when a plan comes together.
This space for rent.
peterrib

Post by peterrib »

A few guys fishing on Ripley today. I walked out from my house with a chisel
and found about 1 1/2 in. Creaks and cracks. Not enough for me. Still alot of
open water.
Peter
Netdewt

Post by Netdewt »

I'm getting antsy. Snow tonight was nice!
Woody

Post by Woody »

our big lake 'Wabigoon' here in Canada is about 4-5" now of mirror smooth black ice. Ice boat heaven, wish I had one! Could go for 20 miles if you want!!

:P
Woody
Team World - CAN757
Neil Pryde Team Rider
tom_latcham

Post by tom_latcham »

Upper lake Minnetonka frooze over last night. Lower lake is still open water. Without snow to insulate it, we should form an inch a day. Making upper lake safe by Sunday. I am sure swede is safe now. The season is about to begin. Lets hope it thickens up then gets a nice snow fall near the end of next week.
TL
BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

It looks like decent SW winds on Saturday. I'll try to check out Swede after work tomorrow.
fabrino

Post by fabrino »

medicine looks frozen on the webcam.. has anybody tested it?

it'd be nice to get some snow but for now
skis are waxed and sharpened.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Jason_L

Post by Jason_L »

Did Swede freeze over before we got the snow. If there is some snow coverage, i'd be up for checking it out this weekend. Otherwise a grass field might work.
fabrino

Post by fabrino »

i am too planning to check swede this weekend..sat around 12.00.. I'll report tomorrow..
davec

Post by davec »

Swede was froze before the snow, but we barely got any snow out here, just a dusting.