3 Strike kitemare.

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Iceman

3 Strike kitemare.

Post by Iceman »

It started out so nice I was sure this would be my last time out and I was going to make the most out of it. I went to the end of the dock to take a wind reading being in the wind back wash it showed a lower reading about 15 mph I grabbed my 13 key. I have used this kite all summer.
Strike one
I am dressed and grabbing gear and I step in fresh dog poop. Bad pet peeve of mine.
Strike two
As I turn to grab my board off my kite the wind circles and fills the kite and away it goes I grab a line and tackle it. That was close!
Strike three
I get out on the lake still looking to have the time of my life. Lines go straight kite takes off I lean back feet find there home. I am ready to fly I look up and send the kite and I go straight up. Everything settles down I try again this is where things start to go bad. The kite flies pass me and falls out of the sky things are still ok it’s not the first gust of wind that has done this.
Now it changes something I have never had to deal with (weeds) my lines go 30 to 40 feet into the weeds and turn 45 degrees to the kite as I get closer my lines start to pull me under I release the kite and wait for the kite to settle down on the water. By now I am in water over my head and I try to swim to shore dragging the kite.
The weeds again throw me for a loop 2 feet forward 3 feet back I try harder same thing happens. By now my kiting partner is coming to my aid and I think it is going to be over soon. Both of us swim for shore the same thing happens. We try harder again no forward motion by now I am very exhausted and very happy I have my life jacket on. I am breathing hard at this point and every other wave tries to choke me. Now I am thinking about releasing the kite to the wind that has to be gusting to 30 mph now.
The only thing that comes to mind is people on shore and my kite hurting someone. I send my board and partner to shore I turn and head to my kite by now it is coming to life with every gust of wind.
I made it to my kite and find the handle in the corner now I just have to get the other one. Nope not going to happen I just can not make it so I settle for the line going to the corner and hang on for the ride to shore. This seems to take forever about a half mile. Amazingly I find I can control the kite somewhat and finely my feet touch bottom. I start grabbing things I make it the air valve and release it. I find I can barely stand up I grab my lines the weeds are so thick I have to do them one at a time. My legs hurt so bad I have a hard time standing much less walking. In the back of my mind I know my friend is looking for me and I start to get everything ready. Little do I know the road does not come close to where I am at? I cross two yards to find the road and start walking I maybe walked 40 feet with my kite as a back pack. Here comes a car it stops and it’s over I learn that every kiteboarder is out looking to help me. I want to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart. You guys rock….

(Priceless)
Having a kiting partner and being part of the Lakawa kiting community.

Dave
A smart person learns from his mistakes.
A wise person learns from other peoples mistakes.
Debbie

Re: 3 Strike kitemare.

Post by Debbie »

Having a 5M kite the past few days - priceless.

Thanks for sharing the story.
RobH

Post by RobH »

Knowing the lake your riding - priceless!

Glad things turned out ok. The final strike would have been somehow getting a line wrapped around your body and towed across the lake so you did good to avoid that situation. Its also a good reminder for everyone to dress for self rescues as the water cools down and be prepaired for those long extended times in the water.

I have also ended up in the corner of Washington just down wind and across the lake from the DRAG launch wondering how to get back. I also was delighted to see the same man at the wheel coming to pick me up and take me back home. Thanks Jerry! Its a very long walk from that corner.
Rob Hyland
Cabrinha Shop Rider / Lakawa Team Rider
davepark

Post by davepark »

Yup, glad it all worked out. Thanks also go to Nathan and his student for use of the jet ski. During those moments we could not see Dave the Iceman, it was nice to verify he was not stuck in the reeds somewhere.

Actually being able to get into Jerry’s car with all of the stuff he carries in there - Priceless :D
anne of willmar

Post by anne of willmar »

jerry....priceless
ahill

Post by ahill »

I was up at milly this summer in when the winds were crazy. long story short i pulled the chicken loop and as the kite let out my saftey line somehow wrapped around the loop and locked the kite at full power again. THe kite would rise and then viloently smash down into the water and then repeat. Just as i would get in reach of the bar it would vilontley take off again taking me with it draging me through the water. As I was pulled twords the shoreline i seen my oppertunity to land it into a tree as a fellow kiter came to cut me free. I was verry close to pulling the leash and letting it fly. Kitemares come in all shapes and sizes.
Now having a community of strangers but freinds look out for you is priceless!